Are platies personable fish?

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm planning on getting some platies soon, and I was curious, are they personable fish? Are they more like bettas where every fish is different, or are they just ya know,,, not really there? I like to have fish I can interact with and will at least somewhat recognize me, but I haven't been able to find much, if any, information on this.

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They have decent associative memory allowing for recognition and the ability to associate you with food like most livebearers. The most personal fish are discus and puffers for freshwater fish I have kept. Platies with training will circle you anytime you walk near the tank if you train them as well as swarm whenever the light is turned on and off. The way to do this is not to approach the tank within 5-10’ (depending on what’s possible for the tank), unless feeding, writhing 1 minute of turning on the lights put in food. They’ll associate you and the light with food and swarm every time either is triggered. This is the limit for a lot of tropical fish’s intellgence. Fish like puffers which have a more developed brain and many saltwater fish can recognize you without the need of food assocuation which is why I’m a puffer and discus addict. These are not the only fish able to do this bettas are another. But these are the ones I’ve owned who have shown memory and intellgence they most.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
I never found live bearers to be very personable. Rams are much better as well as most cichlids. Loaches can also have a lot of personality though not particularly people friendly.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've raised guppies for a while, and when they see me they hoard around the tank for food. Like mentioned above, puffers and cichlids have more personable personalities compared to livebearers. But hey, platies aren't that bad too !

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Addictedtobettas said:
Keep in mind pea puffers can be nippers.
I know, if I end up getting any it'll just be 2-3 by themselves!

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Gel0city said:
I've raised guppies for a while, and when they see me they hoard around the tank for food. Like mentioned above, puffers and cichlids have more personable personalities compared to livebearers. But hey, platies aren't that bad too !
I've been thinking about getting them just to see if I like them, but I'm still on the fence so we'll see.

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Danny002 said:
I know, if I end up getting any it'll just be 2-3 by themselves!
What size tank? If it’s 30-55g I can suggest a larger puffer species for a single specimin tann. They’re a lot of fun at least for me. I have a single specimen Congo puffer tank. Tetraodon miurus.

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jacob thompson said:
What size tank? If it’s 30-55 gallon I can suggest a larger puffer species for a single specimin tann. They’re a lot of fun at least for me. I have a single specimen Congo puffer tank. Tetraodon miurus.
Only 10 gallons. I've spent 3 weeks doing nothing but debate stocking choices and I cannot for the life of me make a solid decision lol

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Danny002 said:
Only 10 gallons. I've spent 3 weeks doing nothing but debate stocking choices and I cannot for the life of me make a solid decision lol
I rarely do nanos now. My first tank below 20 gallon in 5 years is a 2.5g for a long Finnex ThaI import betta. If I did a display 10 gallon I would either do a big school of axelrodI rasboras in a highly planted high tech tank, a highly planted jungle style pea puffer tank, or a black tiger badis tank with 2-3 pairs and a blue dream shrimp colony which I would grow out before I added the badis. All of them would be highly planted and either jungle or Dutch style aqua scape as that my style.
If I was just looking for a pretty tank I would do the rasbora tank
If I was looking for personable fish I would go with the pea puffer tank
If I was looking to observe really cool natural behavior I would go with the badis tank

OP
Danny002

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jacob thompson said:
I rarely do nanos now. My first tank below 20 gallon in 5 years is a 2.5 gallon for a long Finnex ThaI import betta. If I did a display 10 gallon I would either do a big school of axelrodI rasboras in a highly planted high tech tank, a highly planted jungle style pea puffer tank, or a black tiger badis tank with 2-3 pairs and a blue dream shrimp colony which I would grow out before I added the badis. All of them would be highly planted and either jungle or Dutch style aqua scape as that my style.
If I was just looking for a pretty tank I would do the rasbora tank
If I was looking for personable fish I would go with the pea puffer tank
If I was looking to observe really cool natural behavior I would go with the badis tank
I have been curious about scarlet badis, maybe I'll look into those a bit more.

jacob thompson

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Danny002 said:
I have been curious about scarlet badis, maybe I'll look into those a bit more.
I like scarlet badis, I’m just more drawn towards the black tiger badis due to the color contrast

ghostdawg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are the scarlet badis and black tiger badis different fish? Are they common with most LFS & pet shops?

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
10 gal can have 4 platy fish, each has a very unique and fun personality! I love mine, and she definitely recognizes me. I even "trained" her to come when called by telling her to come out and then when she comes to the front of the glass I feed her. She remembers and comes now without food :)

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The way I see it, every indiviual fish has got it's own personality besides the species' natural behavior.

Msdp11009

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love my platies. They recognize me more than anyone else in the family, are active, colorful and peaceful. Those and cories are my must have freshwater fish.

I have never tried out the ones others have mentioned Because they are not a fit for what I have already and I have a 30 gal.

New Threads