Are Plant Mats Safe?

Cyclsnipas

I'm looking to get some mats of Dwarf Pennywort (Hydro. Sibthorpioides or Hydro. Tripartita).

The mats are made of coconut and a metal mesh frame. I've heard that the coconut can rot and cause water issues. If I choose to cut and reshape the mats, do I have to worry about the metal frame rusting and causing water issues as well?

Also, If I an get some recommendation of reputable, quality plant distributors I can purchase them from I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Mcasella

They are plastic mats, the coconut takes a while to rot and the plants should feed on it.

Cyclsnipas

They are plastic mats, the coconut takes a while to rot and the plants should feed on it.

So the mesh is actually plastic? Why was I told it was metal? That makes me feel better. Thank you!

Mcasella

So the mesh is actually plastic? Why was I told it was metal? That makes me feel better. Thank you!
Some moss mats (that the moss is attached to not pinned between) as stainless steel mess, but the coco fiber and mesh ones like at petco and petsmart are black plastic mesh similar to cross stitch material.

Cyclsnipas

The majority I've seen at local fish stores have a green chicken wire looking mesh wrapped around coconut fibers. Are those usually metal or plastic?

Mcasella

The majority I've seen at local fish stores have a green chicken wire looking mesh wrapped around coconut fibers. Are those usually metal or plastic?
I haven't seen that type, if you could provide a picture?

Cyclsnipas

I haven't seen that type, if you could provide a picture?

Perhaps if I can get to one of the stores tomorrow, I can snap a pic. In the meantime I emailed an online plant distributor asking what materials they use.

Cyclsnipas

So, turns out both the lfs mats and the distributors mats are wrapped in that same metal framing. The distributor said it is removable using pruning shears. I'd really prefer to buy locally but the mats don't look that great. They do have some nice looking potted stuff though.

Mcasella

You can likely build your own mats with the plastic mesh and just fill it and glue the coco fiber to it to make it look better.

Cyclsnipas

You can likely build your own mats with the plastic mesh and just fill it and glue the coco fiber to it to make it look better.

I love this idea. My other issue with the store bought mats is they're either rectangular or square. Making my own would allow me to custom make mats as needed. Would plastic arts and crafts mesh be ok?

Mcasella

I love this idea. My other issue with the store bought mats is they're either rectangular or square. Making my own would allow me to custom make mats as needed. Would plastic arts and crafts mesh be ok?
Used all the time in tanks with bettas as barrier to divide the tanks up (and those normally are up for several years just to give you a time frame, the plastic won't deteriorate like metal in water).

Cyclsnipas

Used all the time in tanks with bettas as barrier to divide the tanks up (and those normally are up for several years just to give you a time frame, the plastic won't deteriorate like metal in water).

Thank you so much! Looks like I'll be hitting the lfs and crafts store this weekend Awesome!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Carpio
Replies
Views
ilovefrogs
Replies
Views
Carpio
Replies
Views