Are Pirahna Legal in Any US State?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know they're illegal in GA. Found that out during research

Are they legal in any US state? I can't seem to find a state that allows them.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well I know they are sold in my lfs' here in ohio. there are big ones, and babies too. i'm thinking it shouldn't be allowed.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They're sold in MN, and the last time I looked at the list of banned, invasive species, I didn't notice them. I could easily have missed them, though.

HenyG

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They're fine in England my dads friend has 12. His tank is the whole length of one of his rooms Walls. Gotta be around 10'+

OP
bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Interesting.

Thanks, everyone!

This fish has been on my mind for months. Knowing they're legal in some states raises the possibility that I may be able to keep them in the future, even if I have to move to do so.

I wish special permitting was allowed on a case-by-case basis. Not to toot my own horn, but since I'm a responsible fishkeeper, it would be nice to be able to keep them. To me, they're one of the most unique species on the planet, which probably has a lot to do with why I'm drawn to them so much.

Combine that with the fact that they can be properly kept in smaller tanks than pacus and they really get my attention.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recall reading a list once that said they are legal in most northern states but not in the southern states because if they get let loose they can survive or thrive in the warmer climates. As to whether that's true or not I don't know but it makes sense.

They tend to get a bad rap anyway.

kloseo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have seen them sold in my LFS in Tennessee

mlad44

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely illegal in california. I was watching Wild Justice on the National Geographic channel and on that show, officers took away the piranhas. The reason they were taken was that they are an evasive species and would harm of the other fish populations around, if released.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the deal with them is they are leagal in pretty much any state that gets a good freeze every year. They wouldnt be able to stand a freeze and would die, so they shouldnt, in theory, be a problem, come winter. There are few states the freeze where they aren't leagal, but I'm not sure where they are (other then oue west, I think...?). Some one here on FL looked that up a few months ago

EDIT* Jetta beat me to it! D= lol

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sell here in NH, very popular at my LFS. Of course our state motto is "Live Free or Die". Seriously, it's on our license plates.

treve

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Gotta Love NH you can literally buy anything there. Piranha are illegal in MA surprise surprise.

Walky

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Legal in Illinois, I've seen them sold in stores and I think my parents friends used to have some. I agree with previous guesses that this is likely due to them being able to possibly able to survive and invade in warmer climates.

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Legal in Indiana. First fish I ever kept was two Piranhas. Most skittish, uninteresting fish I've ever kept.

Chances

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It got me thinking and wondering

Finding piranhas for sale:
Piranhas are illegal in a number of U.S. states. If you find piranhas for sale in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia or Washington, don't purchase them – you'll be violating the law.

If you live in a state, country or jurisdiction where the sale of piranhas is legal, expect a steep price tag. A single red belly piranha can run as much as $500.

Danni

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chances said:
It got me thinking and wondering

Finding piranhas for sale:
Piranhas are illegal in a number of U.S. states. If you find piranhas for sale in Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia or Washington, don't purchase them – you'll be violating the law.

If you live in a state, country or jurisdiction where the sale of piranhas is legal, expect a steep price tag. A single red belly piranha can run as much as $500.

&

I just found this interesting.
They are not expensive here at all. Prices vary but they are mostly pretty inexpensive everywhere.

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chances said:
I just found this interesting.

More like $10.00 - $20.00 for an adult and $3.00 - $5.00 for babies.

New Threads