Are Pea Puffers Compatible With Elephant Nose Fish?

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not Sure if this is still open. I have five pea puffers with 2 elephant nose in a planted 50g. My brother convinced me that I would not be a problem, and I wanted those fish so I chose to believe him. And so far, honestly they seem OK. Does anyone have experience with these two fish together? I’ve only had them for around six weeks, but I am concerned.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sonya said:
Not Sure if this is still open. I have five pea puffers with 2 elephant nose in a planted 50g. My brother convinced me that I would not be a problem, and I wanted those fish so I chose to believe him. And so far, honestly they seem OK. Does anyone have experience with these two fish together? I’ve only had them for around six weeks, but I am concerned.
As stated above they are not compatible, as soon as the elephant nose gets large enough to eat an inch long fish your pea puffers are going to be snacks, however you also have a stocking issue because your tank is not large enough for elephant nose fish (more than one) as well as housing them with an aggressive fish (puffer), the elephant nose can range from 8-13 inches and live for several years. Since you have more than one I would upgrade them with suitable tank mates and downgrade the pea puffers to a 20 long (the elephant doesn't do well in smaller tanks with more of their kind around).
I would say a 75 with cover and suitable species of other dwellers in the tank with them will make them feel much better.

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My brother kept them together successfully. He always kept large tanks filled with stuff that did not belong together! And it always worked out for him. I was hoping that a dozen or so people would chime in and say “yeah that’s great, we do that all the time!” Wishful thinking!. I have 120 gallon Heavily planted tank With no occupants,and I’m thinking about stocking options. I will move the elephant noses.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sonya said:
My brother kept them together successfully. He always kept large tanks filled with stuff that did not belong together! And it always worked out for him. I was hoping that a dozen or so people would chime in and say “yeah that’s great, we do that all the time!” Wishful thinking!. I have 120 gallon Heavily planted tank With no occupants,and I’m thinking about stocking options. I will move the elephant noses.
Just because he has kept stuff together does not mean it is a good idea, he just managed to get fish that could tolerate each other (personality wise).

puffer boi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welkerville said:
okay, what about angelfish and pea puffers, can they live together?
that is a very bad idea.
imo nothing should be housed with pea puffers because they will both get stressed

Sonya

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was hoping to hear from some folks who have tried this combination and had it work, or not...
As it is, there have been no problems. It’s a heavily planted tank with lots of rocks. 50 gallons, and they are the only seven fish in there. I have 120 gallon tank that is free of occupants right now, just planted. Today, I decided put the elephants in there just to be on the safe side, but I can’t catch a little buggers!

OP
welkerville

welkerville

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
puffer boi said:
that is a very bad idea.
imo nothing should be housed with pea puffers because they will both get stressed
okay, thanks for the help! much appreciated!

New Threads