Are Paper Towels Aquarium Safe

fish 321

Well Known
So I am wondering if it would be safe for me to use paper towels to wipe the algae off my tank.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
I do that all the time, no issues. Should be fine to use.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Good ones will work. Cheap ones will fall apart.

Frisbee

Well Known
So I am wondering if it would be safe for me to use paper towels to wipe the algae off my tank.
I use them all the time in my tank with snails, shrimp, and a betta and they are all happy and healthy. Since they are made of very fine particles of wood you might want to be careful using them on the glass though cause they can make very tiny scratches.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I wouldn't use any with designs on them. I would be concerned about the dye they use on them. I have used plain white Bounty paper towels to clean the inside of my glass for years with no problems.

OP
fish 321

fish 321

Well Known
I wouldn't use any with designs on them. I would be concerned about the dye they use on them. I have used plain white Bounty paper towels to clean the inside of my glass for years with no problems.
Yeah the ones I have do not have the designs on them, I was not sure if they used some chemical to stick them together that would harm fish.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Yeah the ones I have do not have the designs on them, I was not sure if they used some chemical to stick them together that would harm fish.
I think you will be fine as long as you stay away from the ones with designs. I don't know what they use to laminate to 2 sheets together but feel sure is isn't something that would be a problem.

Prest12

Paper towels are all I use since every rag/towel type thing has been used for dishes. I have never had any problems.

LeahsTank

Well Known
I use the blue paper shop towels. Works like a charm.

Frisbee

Well Known
I use the blue paper shop towels. Works like a charm.
Yea, those would work too. We always have those around for mechanical work (use them lots when you have dirtbikes) but I have never used them for fish tanks before.

LeahsTank

Well Known
Yea, those would work too. We always have those around for mechanical work (use them lots when you have dirtbikes) but I have never used them for fish tanks before.

We use them as our everyday paper towels. They are strong and you can rinse and squeeze them out without them falling apart. After a few uses, toss. Costs a lot less in the long run.

Frisbee

Well Known
We use them as our everyday paper towels. They are strong and you can rinse and squeeze them out without them falling apart. After a few uses, toss. Costs a lot less in the long run.
Yea, we use them for lots of stuff, but they are usually out in the motorcycle tent cause we use them for working on the dirtbikes, we use them for cleaning around the house too though.

napa15rt

I used them once and I noticed a bunch of lint or dust seemed to be everywhere in the water after so I don't use them anymore.

Frisbee

Well Known
I used them once and I noticed a bunch of lint or dust seemed to be everywhere in the water after so I don't use them anymore.
Probably a cheesier paper towel brand or something, I know tissues will do that in water.

Rylan

Well Known
I used to use them in my tank. I always pre-rinsed them to avoid the dust issue. (I’m on well water so no chlorine issues.) Works well.

Now I have a Nerite snail and she does most of the work for me.

jaysurf7

I sometimes use paper towels to wipe the top inside of the tank,but don't really use them underwater because as some parts might tear and cause little floating bits in the tank and the dyes some paper towels use might not be good for the tank.A good way to scrape algae that I've been doing for years is just get an old credit card or store card, and scrape the glass it works great,and won't scratch the glass.

Casper&Mushu

If I'm being honest, just get a double sided algae/sponge tool, it has a blue handle and it's really good, and it only costed $8 where I am, wow this hasn't been one of my most professional posts, I apologise

C&M

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gekco
Replies
Views
JoeCamaro

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

If you would like to learn more about your fellow members we have an "interview" section where you can request to be interviewed!
Member Interviews Forum

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom