Question Are Panda/Peppered/Albino corydoras in a 20 gallon while cycling the tank

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am a beginner and I already have my 20 gallon tank ready. I was wondering whether I could put Corydoras in such an environment and have no casualties. I will use ammo-lock to stop them from dying from ammonia and nitrite. Should I do water changes twice a week if this idea is possible? I am eager to add fish to the tank but want to make sure to take the proper precautions.

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
redmare said:
No, please don't. If you're super careful they probably will survive, but please just finish your cycle first! You're already doing the best possible thing for your future fish by doing a fishless cycle.
Thank you, I have been trying to do a fish less cycle by putting food in the tank and using API quick start. I have not yet gotten any indications that the cycle is occurring and it has been a week, is that normal? I have been using the API master test kit and have not gotten any readings for nitrite and nitrate but have gotten .25 ppm on ammonia at most.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if you just started. you can start the process faster by using Dr Tims Amonium Chloride and dose accordingly bump yourself to 3ppm ammonia and cycle process should start faster than waiting for your food to decay and hopefully see some nitrites in a short period, provided you continue with fishless cycle i hope

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is normal for a cycle to take a month or so, one week you definitely won’t see anything. What is your ammonia level reading at? Try to keep it around 3 ppm if there’s no fish in the tank. You don’t even need to do water changes. Just keep the ammonia at 3 ppm and you’re good to go.

a fish-in cycle is stressful for both you and the fish, and is a lot more work. If you do end up doing a fish-in cycle, don’t do it with corys. They are very sensitive.

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
th
UnknownUser said:
It is normal for a cycle to take a month or so, one week you definitely won’t see anything. What is your ammonia level reading at? Try to keep it around 3 ppm if there’s no fish in the tank. You don’t even need to do water changes. Just keep the ammonia at 3 ppm and you’re good to go.

a fish-in cycle is stressful for both you and the fish, and is a lot more work. If you do end up doing a fish-in cycle, don’t do it with corys. They are very sensitive.
thanks

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nickguy5467 said:
if you just started. you can start the process faster by using Dr Tims Amonium Chloride and dose accordingly bump yourself to 3ppm ammonia and cycle process should start faster than waiting for your food to decay and hopefully see some nitrites in a short period, provided you continue with fishless cycle i hope
Could you give a guess on how long the cycle would take with Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dmandino9991 said:
Could you give a guess on how long the cycle would take with Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride?
i actually have no idea. i didnt use it my first time around. my situation was a bit different. i had a tank leak , so i moved my fish to a new tank in which i decided i would make a planted tank . so new soil substrate except i used most of the sand from my old tank as a cap so they ( may or may have not) contributed to my cycle. filters were on back burner for a little bit so maybe not all of my bacteria died im not sure. but in my case. it took only like a week. but again it may or may not have been because i had some bacteria alive still. sorry thats confusing i just dont want to give you information im not sure of, but dr tims is a sure way to get your ammonia where you need it fast and start the process,

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is pure ammonia the fastest way? Or is fish in?

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dmandino9991 said:
Is pure ammonia the fastest way? Or is fish in?
pure ammonia imo. fish in is just the same as putting in food and waiting for them to decay. same with fish poop. its also dangerous for your fish

magentatooth

Reaction score
If you know anyone with a fish tank and can take some filter media and put it in your tank Filter you can skip this process.
I think fish shops should sell media ready to go! Nobody ever talks about it

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
magentatooth said:
If you know anyone with a fish tank and can take some filter media and put it in your tank Filter you can skip this process.
I think fish shops should sell media ready to go! Nobody ever talks about it
Do you mean to just squeeze dirty filter water in the tank to get the beneficial bacteria from it? If so, that makes a lot of sense.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never use ammo-lock during the cycle (or ever IMO). It binds the ammonia so the bacteria cannot eat it. You will never cycle. After your cycle completes get a bottle of Seachem Prime dechlorinator instead. If the ammonia is below 1ppm your fish will be fine using it.

OP
Dmandino9991

Dmandino9991

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, do you know of any ways to control KH and GH... or does it even matter. Also do you know of any nice aquatic plant that will float at the top and provide a canopy for the fish?(Preferably beginner level) Perhaps a lily pad of some sort or floating moss.

redmare

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dmandino9991 said:
Thank you, do you know of any ways to control KH and GH... or does it even matter. Also do you know of any nice aquatic plant that will float at the top and provide a canopy for the fish?(Preferably beginner level) Perhaps a lily pad of some sort or floating moss.
What are your kh and gh? In general, you shouldn't try and change those. if they're extreme, find fish that will enjoy it. If not, just acclimate. Dwarf aquarium lily is easy and pretty! Hornwort is also easy and fast growing and can be left to float.

New Threads