Are Pagoda rocks suitable for a freshwater aquarium?

1. jogeorge Initiate Member

I have a 33 gallon freshwater aquarium with 10 neon tetras and a Dwarf Gourami.

My pH level currently reads 6.5-7.0 (JBL COMBI Test kit)

On my last visit to the LFS, I came across some great looking rocks (PAGODA).The sales guy told me they wouldn't cause a problem with my set up. Said I should only rinse them and add to my tank. So I got 3 medium sized rocks.

Now I'v just read that these rocks may change the water chemistry!!!! (pH, Fe, KH)

How far is this true?
    If it IS true is there any way I could treat the rocks befor I add them?

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

The safest rocks for a freshwater tank are lava rock, slate, quartz, onyx, and
    pertrified wood. Do not trust a rock not to leach or dissolve simply because
    the petstore told you it was safe. I was sold a rock once that I was told was
    "aquarium safe" that ending up dissolving in the tank and playing havok on the
    hardness of the water. If you doubt the safety of the rock do not use it. Try
    to stick to the above listed rocks and to rocks that are listed in a good book
    on fish. Good luck with the tank.

3. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Pagoda rock is a type of limestone. With the pH (and presumed low hardness) of your water, it will raise both the hardness and pH of the water. Great if you want African cichlids. Not so great for other fish.

4. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

+1 sirdarksol – very good way to answer a post – Not with just a yes or no but with an explanation of the pros and cons.