Are Oto Catfish Completely Safe With Red Cherry Shrimp?

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are Oto Cats completely safe with Red Cherry Shrimp including their shrimplets? Would a group of three work in a 20 long filled with Cherry Shrimp? I like them based on their reputation for algae eating and their beautiful looks.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are completely shrimp safe! They are very gentle and I love them in my planted tank as they’re such diligent little algae eaters. I think you will like them too

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yay! Thanks Giul! I know they shoal, but will 3 still work just fine?

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yay! Thanks Giul! I know they shoal, but will 3 still work just fine?
I currently just have 3 but I’m not sure that the reccomended minimum number is. They are sensitive fish to bring into your tank so I’ve purchased 5 but only have 3 now.

In case anyone didn’t tell you make sure that you really observe the otos that you plan to get in store. Make sure they have a nice, full belly as they are sometimes starved during shipment. I know my LFS receives their orders on Tuesdays so I would go on Monday to see if they have any, just to make sure that they’ve been well fed for at least a week

Fishbro5

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currently just have 3 but I’m not sure that the reccomended minimum number is. They are sensitive fish to bring into your tank so I’ve purchased 5 but only have 3 now.

In case anyone didn’t tell you make sure that you really observe the otos that you plan to get in store. Make sure they have a nice, full belly as they are sometimes starved during shipment. I know my LFS receives their orders on Tuesdays so I would go on Monday to see if they have any, just to make sure that they’ve been well fed for at least a week
:nailbiting: I am ordering mine off of Aquatic Arts with the shrimp, so I guess just hope for the best? All my LFS suck. AKA Petco/Petsmart.

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@Fishbro5
Agree with @Giul
Kept a 10g Planted Shrimp tank with Otos for about a year and half. Never a problem, except when I first got them. As mentioned they are generally very stressed and starved by the time we get them. Yes,, I have had losses the first week or so. You got some good advice, but remember the tank should be mature/seasoned for best opportunity for success.
Good Luck.

ETNsilverstar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You'll probably have better luck with them coming from aquatic arts. I got 6 from petsmart and they all did well for the first month, then I've lost one every 2-3 weeks since. They're definitely fun little fish though!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 64.7%

Top Bottom