Are Oscars Mating Or Trying To Kill Each Other?

djetta

HI guys. I just bought a 55 gallon tank for my jack dempsey as he outgrew his old tank. The tank came with 2 fairly big oscars that my lfs said would take. One is a tiger and one is a red oscar. They have been quite peaceful fish and always swim around together. I got up this morning and they are liplocked and what looks like trying to rip each others lips off. They have only done it once, but I was curious as to what was going on. Anybody know?

Attachments

• IMG_0017[1].JPG
    IMG_0017[1].JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 188

2211Nighthawk

55 is to small for a single Oscar let along 2. I’d say they’re fighting.

djetta

oh I know full well that they are cramped, that's why I am giving them to my lfs. They still are just lazily swimming around, so maybe it's just a one time thing....

Dawn Michele

They will fight again in that small of space.

djetta

So.... They are deff fightingno got home today and the smaller red had had the top lip ripped off... Not all of it but a big chunk. The lfs told me to put one in a bucket tonight and then swap them tomorrow and then bring them in on Thursday. I have a submersible in the bucket, do you think that's enough air for him? I don't want them to die...

2211Nighthawk

I’d be more worried about him jumping out. I had to have an 8” goldfish in a 5 gallon bucket. Lots of water on the floor. An airstone will help, something to stir the water up. And a lid of some kind...

djetta

I have a submersible air pump in the bucket and a lid with several large holes drilled into it. That's the best I can do for him. I have the water flow from the pump aimed towards the surface of the water.

2211Nighthawk

I have a submersible air pump in the bucket and a lid with several large holes drilled into it. That's the best I can do for him. I have the water flow from the pump aimed towards the surface of the water.
Sounds good. Keep us posted. my pet store tried to keep 2 6-8” surrendered Oscars in one of the 40 gallon breeders. The larger one took a bite the size of my fist out of the other one. Poor guy didn’t make it.

djetta

do you think he/she will live and his/her lip heal? I am heartbroken, which is weird seeing as I never intended on having oscars and have only had them a couple of weeks. And no, I am not keeping either of them if they survive this ordeal. I just hate to think they are in pain or anything. It does seem to be calm and it is eating...
IMG_0042[1].JPG

2211Nighthawk

I think he’ll heal up in good conditions.

djetta

Sounds good. Keep us posted. my pet store tried to keep 2 6-8” surrendered Oscars in one of the 40 gallon breeders. The larger one took a bite the size of my fist out of the other one. Poor guy didn’t make it.
I hope you have a tiny fist....That sounds horrible

djetta

This guy breeds fish and sells them in the front of his shop. He has some nice looking fish and tanks, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing and won't try anything like that with these fish. He also seems to be a huge fan of oscars, so I feel good about giving them to him.

2211Nighthawk

I hope you have a tiny fist....That sounds horrible
It was ugly. Beautiful fish but yeah, they are temperamental suckers.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fae
Replies
Views
hampalong
Replies
Views
CaptainAquatics
Replies
Views