Are Ornaments Toxic?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Pishies, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

Not really sure where to post this.

I love the old ceramic ornaments that used to be around before resin ornaments came on the shelves.

Is there any problem with the old ceramic ornaments leeching lead into the water or something? I have read some possible issues.

I have some that I used in my tanks many years ago and would like to use them again, but am worried about leeching.

The ornaments are glazed ceramic in good condition.

What do you think?

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Glazed ceramics are fine. It there are chips, it is questionably. I would not use one with any chips. That is when the lead could come into question. (I don't know that this is a problem any longer but with older ceramic items, it certainly was.)

3. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

That is an interesting question. I would probably be worried about them leeching as well. I would guess there is some type of sealing you could coat them with that would be more safe for the fish. You could test them in some water that is not your tank first to see what happens. Look for discoloration of the water, maybe do a water test on the water before and after a few days. Do you feel you had problems in your tanks when you had them before?

4. OP
    OP
    Pishies

Pishies Valued Member Member

Its hard to tell because sometimes fish just die, it could have been from anything. But I did google some stuff about the ceramic ornaments. There wasn't much to be found about ceramic, but some people found their resin ornaments were disintegrating in the tanks.

5. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

Yeah I feel like some of the paints and stuff they use on the ornaments degrade over time. I'm going to guess they arent harmful to the fish (I surely hope not!) but they dont stay the same year after year. Here are two pictures of my tank when I first set it up 3 years ago and then a picture I took yesterday. If you look at the ornament in the middle you can see (hopefully!) how much it has faded or whatever it has done. The structure is still there but the paint is very much not.

first pictures of tank.jpg 2013

April 10.jpg 2017

6. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

you could get a polyurethane spray, and recoat the ornaments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice