Question Are only sponge inserts enough for biological media?

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, I recently lost my AC ceramic ring bags in a very stupid accident (forgot they were in my bucket for cleaning and dump the water and 2 whole bags down the toilet ‍♂), which took a hour to snake loose.

I currently have two aquaclear 50's on my tank with two sponges in each.

Do i need to worry about a mini cycle/crash or am i ok?

It happened yesterday and my parameter today are still 0 ammonia & nitrite with around 20 nitrate.

FishFor2018

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’d definitely watch you parameters but I’ve had tanks where I only keep sponges in the filter because the tanks had a low bio load with a lot of live plants So I would think you should be fine but you can never be to safe

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would think you're okay for now, But I would def. Replace that media soon before messing with the filter/doing water changes on the tank again. You'll want them seeded from the sponges before you have to go cleaning at the substrate bed/filter again.

OP
Ambie

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishFor2018 said:
I’d definitely watch you parameters but I’ve had tanks where I only keep sponges in the filter because the tanks had a low bio load with a lot of live plants So I would think you should be fine but you can never be to safe
It the tank in my profile pic, so it's very heavily planted and i would call it a medium bio load.
I've got a few tanks, so if i need to i can move a sponge filter over to help till i replace the bags.
I just feel really dumb for forgetting them in the bucket.

OP
Ambie

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishGirl38 said:
I would think you're okay for now, But I would def. Replace that media soon before messing with the filter/doing water changes on the tank again. You'll want them seeded from the sponges before you have to go cleaning at the substrate bed/filter again.
I'm going to move over a sponge filter from one of my other tanks if the ammonia gets to .25 ammonia.
I'll just hawkeye the parameters for a while.

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ambie said:
It the tank in my profile pic, so it's very heavily planted and i would call it a medium bio load.
I've got a few tanks, so if i need to i can move a sponge filter over to help till i replace the bags.
We've all been there...At least you have other tanks you could transfer/share media with/from. It could've been worse, you could've sayy,

did a water change while forgetting to turn your heater off first.
Orrr
Opened the lock valves (to fill) a canister filter before you had all the seals in place.
Guiltyyyy x.x. Should I admit that here? lol. I hope everything stays in check. :).

FishFor2018

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ambie said:
I think we have all at some point done something stupid with our tanks like spilling a 5 gallon bucket all over a carpet room trying to do a water change lol

wishuponafish

Well Known
Reaction score
You don't really need the ceramic stuff, once the BB you lost re-establishes on the sponges they are still more than enough to handle all but the highest bioloads.

New Threads