Are NOVA Extreme T5HO lights any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I was wondering if anybody has used the Nove Extreme T5HO lights, and if they are any good. I currently have an AllGlass lid/light and was thinking of upgrading for my 38 gallon tank. My tank is not planted (artificial), I'm just looking for better lighting. The AllGlass light I have is a single tube, and is nowhere near as long as the hood. Also will the Nova Extreme mount the same way as the AllGlass light...The AllGlass unit sits right on top of the plexiglass portion of the lid. The Nova looks like it uses legs...would you not use the legs, and just set it on the lid? I tried to find a number for Current-USA (makes Nova lighting), but I couldn't find a phone number anywhere on their site.

As far as the lights go, I'm not talking about the Nova Extreme Pro...just the Nova Extreme.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I bought this light fixture 2 months ago (which is the same one I think you're talking about): . I got the 36" 78W fixture for my 45g freshwater tank. All I had on there was a 18W (I think) single bulb. I immediately noticed a drastic difference it lighting. I could actually see the fish lol. I also had a glass top and at first I used the fixture without the legs by just sitting it on top of the glass. I don't think there's anything really wrong with doing that. However, it was a pain in the butt for me to do any type of maintenance because I would have to take the whole top and light off the tank (the tank is only a foot wide so it doesn't give me much space to work with). I soon realized that life would be a LOT easier for me to just take the top off and use the legs. Daily activities are much more enjoyable since I've done that. Hope this helps any

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought this light fixture 2 months ago (which is the same one I think you're talking about): . I got the 36" 78W fixture for my 45g freshwater tank. All I had on there was a 18W (I think) single bulb. I immediately noticed a drastic difference it lighting. I could actually see the fish lol. I also had a glass top and at first I used the fixture without the legs by just sitting it on top of the glass. I don't think there's anything really wrong with doing that. However, it was a pain in the butt for me to do any type of maintenance because I would have to take the whole top and light off the tank (the tank is only a foot wide so it doesn't give me much space to work with). I soon realized that life would be a LOT easier for me to just take the top off and use the legs. Daily activities are much more enjoyable since I've done that. Hope this helps any
Is there any way you can give me the model number off of your fixture? The 36" model is the one that I'm looking to get. Could you also give me the measurement of the fixture...not the end to end measurement, but the front to back measurement.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I havn't used the Nova Extreme fixtures but some of the cichlid society members do & I've heard nothing but good things about them so far. Probably a pretty good choice for the money I would say.

HuskerArob

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought this set...

It is an absolutly amazing buy for my 55gallon planted tank, i can post some photos for you if you would like.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I bought the 30" for my 29 gallon tank a few weeks ago. I initially tried just setting it on my tank, but was having problems with water splashing onto it from my filter. Now that its on the legs I love it! I can just skoot it back if I need the lid wide open.

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I bought this set...

It is an absolutly amazing buy for my 55gallon planted tank, i can post some photos for you if you would like.
Those would be the ones that I'm talking about!

I bought the 30" for my 29 gallon tank a few weeks ago. I initially tried just setting it on my tank, but was having problems with water splashing onto it from my filter. Now that its on the legs I love it! I can just skoot it back if I need the lid wide open.
Will I have to run an all glass hood/canopy, or can it be used with my existing hood/canopy? This is the hood/light that I currently have:

87.jpg

By the way, if your not running c02, you'll need to with these lights. I found that out the hard way!
According to the OP, the tank isn't planted so CO2 would not be necessary
Since I've got all plastic decorations, would I need to do anything else other than add the light, and possibly another hood/cover?

The light that I've currently got is pretty much useless, and I've found the Current-USA Nova Extremes on sale for a pretty good price.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have the light to do it, I would put some live plants in there to make use of all that light. Depending on the water quality you might get algae problems from having the extra light intensity. Live plants wil help with that & co2 of some sort, (DIY or pressurised), would be required as well.

Wheter or not you can use your existing hood depends on if you can get the fitting installed in there nicely or not. T5HO lights put out more heat than other lights so you would probably need to find a way to get that heat out of the hood. (PC fans are good).

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Live plants are great and I'm happy I made the switch a couple months ago but if for whatever reason you don't want to deal with live plants to reduce algae, you can always get a small pleco or a group of otto cats. There are other ways to help reduce algae also, such as the light schedule. Some members will have their lights on for a few hours, turn them off for a couple hours, then back on for a few hours. This will also help to control the heat from the lights. You would also want to keep the total amount of hours per day lower than if you had plants. I run the lights on my planted tank for 12 hours a day, but my non-planted tank only gets light for about 8 hours a day.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those would be the ones that I'm talking about!

Will I have to run an all glass hood/canopy, or can it be used with my existing hood/canopy? This is the hood/light that I currently have:

87.jpg

Since I've got all plastic decorations, would I need to do anything else other than add the light, and possibly another hood/cover?

The light that I've currently got is pretty much useless, and I've found the Current-USA Nova Extremes on sale for a pretty good price.
You'll probably need to replace that hood with a glass one if you want to use a hood, or you can use the mounting legs that will come with your fixture to raise it a few inches from the tank and go open top. There are definitely disadvantages to going topless (lol!) but I run a 50, 75, 120, and almost all the tanks in the fishroom that way and have had very minimal losses. Evaporation stinks though.

BTW, I've used many of Current-USA's light fixtures (PC, T5HO, and even MH) and IMO they last a long time and are very good for the price.

If you have the light to do it, I would put some live plants in there to make use of all that light. Depending on the water quality you might get algae problems from having the extra light intensity. Live plants wil help with that & co2 of some sort, (DIY or pressurised), would be required as well.

Wheter or not you can use your existing hood depends on if you can get the fitting installed in there nicely or not. T5HO lights put out more heat than other lights so you would probably need to find a way to get that heat out of the hood. (PC fans are good).
I totally agree. Adding plants really lets you take your hobby experience (and your tank) to the next level. Planted tanks don't have to be difficult, so you might want to give it a shot.

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just recovering from a vicious bout of ick that wiped out most of my tank. I also went through a semi-rough mini cycle shortly after starting my tank (don't add too many fish too quickly!). I'm going to go with the plastic plants until I'm sure I've got everything moving along nicely, then maybe I can try my hand at some live plants .

I do have a little extra money in my Pay-pal account that's burning a hole in my pocket, and I found the Current-USA Nove extreme lights on sale at a good price, so I figured I'd pick one up, since my current light is pretty dismal. Since it sounds like they are decent for the price, I'm going to order them when I get home from work.

As soon as I begin restocking, I'm planning on going with Corys, a Bristlenose Pleco, and Tiger Barbs. I know the Barbs need to be in groups of 6+, but that's not a problem as I'm only planning on housing the Barbs, Corys, and Pleco in the tank. I'm figuring on 12 or so Barbs, 6 Corys, and the Pleco.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're going to go with the pleco instead of a group of ottos, make sure you have some driftwood in there because they need it in their diet. They also require shade from the bright lights so try to give him plenty of cover (which the driftwood is also good for).

OP

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does anybody know...is the only difference between the saltwater and freshwater version the color of the second light? If so, I'll order the saltwater version and just order the pink bulb to go in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.3%

Top Bottom