Are Nerites Shy?

bmblsad

Reaction score
I started up some new tanks in April/May, using the fishless cycling method. I have a 15 gallon with a betta and a 29 gallon with an oranda goldfish. Both have a small assortment of beginner live plants (anubias, javas).

Because I am having issues with brown algae growing on the decor, plants and walls, I brought home 2 nerites and 2 mystery snails a few weeks back to help me clean. I put 1 nerite and 1 mystery in each tank (so two snails per tank). I see the mysteries all the time, but I have a heck of a time finding the nerites. In fact I haven't seen the nerites in either tank in a couple of days. I've looked in my HOB filters, under the driftwood, inside the decorations. It's like they evaporated. Where do they go? Do they prefer to hide during the day? I think they're too big to get eaten by my fish (attached pic of mystery; nerites are slightly smaller), and if they had been wouldn't there be a shell left behind. Maybe there was a nerite rapture? Anyway, what's normal behavior for these elusive cuties?

mystery snail_sm.jpg

Beth

Attachments

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bmblsad said:
I started up some new tanks in April/May, using the fishless cycling method. I have a 15 gallon with a betta and a 29 gallon with an oranda goldfish. Both have a small assortment of beginner live plants (anubias, javas).

Because I am having issues with brown algae growing on the decor, plants and walls, I brought home 2 nerites and 2 mystery snails a few weeks back to help me clean. I put 1 nerite and 1 mystery in each tank (so two snails per tank). I see the mysteries all the time, but I have a heck of a time finding the nerites. In fact I haven't seen the nerites in either tank in a couple of days. I've looked in my HOB filters, under the driftwood, inside the decorations. It's like they evaporated. Where do they go? Do they prefer to hide during the day? I think they're too big to get eaten by my fish (attached pic of mystery; nerites are slightly smaller), and if they had been wouldn't there be a shell left behind. Maybe there was a nerite rapture? Anyway, what's normal behavior for these elusive cuties?

mystery snail_sm.jpg

Beth
They are not shy. Is your algae gone? Nerites ARE very sensitive to water parameters and will leave the water if anything is off. They also will not hesitate to leave the aquarium completely so be sure there aren't any holes or gaps they can fit through. Mystery snails rarely try to leave a tank completely but nerites are adventurers.

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My nerite goes missing sometimes tho hes never left the tank, but lots of people here have nerites who have left the tank. Mine likes to bury himself in sand from time to time and will show back up later.

bmblsad

Reaction score
JamieLu said:
My nerite goes missing sometimes tho hes never left the tank, but lots of people here have nerites who have left the tank. Mine likes to bury himself in sand from time to time and will show back up later.
Oh! the sand! Maybe that's it. I didn't know they would do something like that. I'm doing water changes today so planning to do a through search/rescue.
If they leave the tank, I'm assuming they can't get too far. I've looked around the tanks and don't see them anywhere so hoping they're still inside someplace.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never had mine bury himself but he goes missing. He's only just recently come back on the scene, missing a few weeks

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine never gets stuck in the sand for too long. A day or 2 tops, and hes never stuck, just likes to bury himself from time to time cuz i see him on the glass but under the sand. Lol good luck!

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JamieLu said:
Mine never gets stuck in the sand for too long. A day or 2 tops, and hes never stuck, just likes to bury himself from time to time cuz i see him on the glass but under the sand. Lol good luck!
It's possible more do that as I've scoured the tank and cant find them and I use sand

bmblsad

Reaction score
Crazy! I never knew that. Another funny snail quirk. Thanks all!

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerites aren’t shy but I’m not sure they will eat so much brown algae. Otocinclus are the best for that job.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerites devour brown algae. They seem to like it more than green. They do like to hide though. It's not so much hiding as getting into places no one else goes where there may be food. If you have a lot of brown algae, they just may have found a spot to clean up and have no reason to leave it. They are a lot less active than Mystery snails but Mysteries are not good algae eaters at all. They actually need a good amount of animal protein in their diet.

I have seen my Nerites settle in a spot and not leave it for hours, or even a full day. They also will not be very active if they have eaten their fill. In my experience, Zebra Nerites are a lot less active than Tigers and also less than the little Horned ones. It's amazing how much brown algae a Horned Nerite can make disappear in short order.

I have a Horned Nerite in my brackish water Opae'Ula shrimp tank and he's doing great.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dechi said:
Nerites aren’t shy but I’m not sure they will eat so much brown algae. Otocinclus are the best for that job.
They will eat brown algae. And BONUS, they scrape that tough green algae off everything they can reach too. 2 nerites had my 30 gallon algae encrusted tank clean in a week!

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
They will eat brown algae. And BONUS, they scrape that tough green algae off everything they can reach too. 2 nerites had my 30 gallon algae encrusted tank clean in a week!
Good to know. I have one nerite but no brown algae and from what I read, Otos were the best for that type of algae. Otos are small though. But cute :)

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dechi said:
Good to know. I have one nerite but no brown algae and from what I read, Otos were the best for that type of algae. Otos are small though. But cute
Otos aren't really that tough. They are (from my experience) one of the hardest fish to keep healthy. They need to be kept in schools, they don't tolerate even slightly dirty water, they will get sick when exposed to sudden pH, temp or GH/KH parameter swings and they don't tolerate any sudden changes in a tank well at all (even the addition of new nosy fish!). But they do do a great job on algae! They do best when 5 or more of them are added to an already well maintained, well established tank stocked with peaceful fish. They are VERY cute and fun to watch schooling around with their buddies.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
Otos aren't really that tough. They are (from my experience) one of the hardest fish to keep healthy. They need to be kept in schools, they don't tolerate even slightly dirty water, they will get sick when exposed to sudden pH, temp or GH/KH parameter swings and they don't tolerate any sudden changes in a tank well at all (even the addition of new nosy fish!). But they do do a great job on algae! They do best when 5 or more of them are added to an already well maintained, well established tank stocked with peaceful fish. They are VERY cute and fun to watch schooling around with their buddies.
I added mine too soon, one died but the other one seems to be thriving. I’m letting my tank mature a little more and will be adding a few more. I like these little ones !

bmblsad

Reaction score
I've read about otos and think they're cute, too. Would love to get some but I don't think I have the skill yet so don't want to subject them to my learning curve.

Atomicfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Otos die easily they will starve to death if there is no algae present.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I currently have 2 nerites and I pretty much only ever see 1 at a time. Mine seem to only like to explore after I've turned the lights out and spend their days mostly hidden on the back side of the decor. I have a particularily twisted and knoted piece of mopani wood that has some little pockets they always sit in. In their old tank I had a little pot on top of the sponge filter that Scrungus would always somehow get inside of.

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 2 nerites in my 20 gallon, and can always find one, but being able to find both is like playing "Where's Waldo".

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom