10 Gallon Tank Are Nerite Snails The Best For Algae Control? Difference Between Different Nerites?

joeyxl

Hello all,

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 3 normans lampeyes, that i plan to increase to 3 more. I am not doing that until my cycle crash has recovered (water is tested everyday and changed). What my question now is about snails. I have some alage in the tank that i really don't want to remove with a tool, as i do not have one, and I thought id get some sort of clean up crew to deal with it. My first thought was Amano or Neocaradinas as they report to eat alage, but then i found out that nerite snails do a better job. is this true? also, if i was to get a nerite (or two) for the tank, what type of nerite is best? are they all just different astheically, or are there biological differences between different species of nerites? I will NOT be adding any more livestock until my parameters are under control. Many thanks.

JettsPapa

A nerite is a decent option, though not as good as mechanical removal. It's not necessary to buy a purpose made tool for that. You can remove it with a clean cloth, or if it needs scraping use an old credit or debit card.

As far as I know there is no difference in effectiveness between the different colors and/or patterns.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I have 4 nerites of various sizes and colors in my tank. In a 10 gallon I would not do more than 1. They clean algae great but dont eat anything off the moss or most of the plants, but each has it's own preferred spot- some love the glass and others love the spiderwood. Color variations don't seem to matter in my tank. Nerites do have a higher bioload than snails because they poop more. I also have amanos. They eat algae but dont clean the glass. SO it really depends on what you need taken care of and your water change schedule. Both nerites and amanos need a cycled tank and higher Ph with decent Kh and Gh because of the shells.

Upvote 0

joeyxl

I have 4 nerites of various sizes and colors in my tank. In a 10 gallon I would not do more than 1. They clean algae great but dont eat anything off the moss or most of the plants, but each has it's own preferred spot- some love the glass and others love the spiderwood. Color variations don't seem to matter in my tank. Nerites do have a higher bioload than snails because they poop more. I also have amanos. They eat algae but dont clean the glass. SO it really depends on what you need taken care of and your water change schedule. Both nerites and amanos need a cycled tank and higher Ph with decent Kh and Gh because of the shells.
hey, thanks for the response.

The alage is mostly on the glass, so a nerite would be best for me. Good to know the max stocking number, I don't want to harm anything in the tank than what is already going on. As stated, i WONT be adding else anything including snails to the tank until the parameters are stable. It already sucks i cannot rehome the fish i have now and save them from potential harm. Thank god im able to do daily water changes.

In regards to PH, GH and KH, what are good numbers? my PH is 7.5 on the base API PH kit, but i plan to get the high PH as i feel like its higher, and my city tap water reports say its around 8, so i want to know. My KH is 3, but for GH, unfortunately my tester expired so i need to buy another one. I do have calcium power for reptiles that doesn't have anything else in it, so if i need to dose with that, i am able to.
A nerite is a decent option, though not as good as mechanical removal. It's not necessary to buy a purpose made tool for that. You can remove it with a clean cloth, or if it needs scraping use an old credit or debit card.

As far as I know there is no difference in effectiveness between the different colors and/or patterns.
Many thanks for the response. For the record, i will treat the snail as a member of the family, not just some tool, so once the alage is gone, i will feed it and ensure that it's healthy. I think i will get a horned nitrite, as they look quite awesome. I just want to know what GH, KH , and PH they need.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Your Ph looks fine. Acidic water will dissolve their shells. A Kh of 3 should be OK and if your Ph is pretty stable you probably have a decent Gh number. You should be just fine. You can supplement the algae with algae wafers and blanched kale, cucumbers, zucchini. etc just to ensure a balanced diet for shell health. One tip- if you ever want to see the snail make sure you dont get one the same color of everything in the tank. I have one large dark brown one that I can never find because it blends in perfectly with the driftwood and spiderwood. I do have a small horned nerite and he loves cleaning my glass for me.

Upvote 0

joeyxl

Your Ph looks fine. Acidic water will dissolve their shells. A Kh of 3 should be OK and if your Ph is pretty stable you probably have a decent Gh number. You should be just fine. You can supplement the algae with algae wafers and blanched kale, cucumbers, zucchini. etc just to ensure a balanced diet for shell health. One tip- if you ever want to see the snail make sure you dont get one the same color of everything in the tank. I have one large dark brown one that I can never find because it blends in perfectly with the driftwood and spiderwood. I do have a small horned nerite and he loves cleaning my glass for me.
Sounds good. I still want to test my GH just to be sure. im a bit anal when it comes to testing my water. On the topic of alage wafers, i have Tetra alage wafters that contain zuchinni. it might like that? Ill try to get one that stands out so i do see it, but my tank is pretty empty, it only has gravel and one java fern.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

You will definitely need more in there to keep a nerite happy. They grow and eat pretty quickly. I recommend some wood and maybe more decor- even rocks. It might take them a while to find added food. I try to always put it in the same place for a habit.

Upvote 0

joeyxl

You will definitely need more in there to keep a nerite happy. They grow and eat pretty quickly. I recommend some wood and maybe more decor- even rocks. It might take them a while to find added food. I try to always put it in the same place for a habit.
Alright sounds like a plan. Ill get a rock, and a cholla log. should make the tank look a bit more "populated". Do nerites eat biofilm? i was wondering if i could use VERY SMALL amounts of bacter AE to grow some for him.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Alright sounds like a plan. Ill get a rock, and a cholla log. should make the tank look a bit more "populated". Do nerites eat biofilm? i was wondering if i could use VERY SMALL amounts of bacter AE to grow some for him.
They usually concentrate on algae. Biofilm isn't really a big part of the diet. Biofilm will grow naturally but I would not worry about it as much as the algae wafers and additional veggies for nutrition.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • dgordontx
  • Snails
Replies
Views
dgordontx
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
  • Question