Are mystery snails....

1. anunez91 Member Member

known to bail? i got home from work this morning and when i went to feed the betta bros, i noticed he was gone. I keep him on the side of my new petsmart rescue betta, i thought he might have hopped the divider, but no luck, checked inside my two decorations, nothing. Theres a small opening in the top of the hood where a door is supposed to be, for feeding and such, im thinking he might have crawled out there or something. Anyone have this happen to them? obviously the only way to know is to wait and see if he shows up (ive check the immediate area) but, im just curious if they have tendancies to bail tanks. Thanks in advance!

btw, didnt know where to post, this made the most sense to me.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:) There's an invertebrates section under "freshwater fish."

Anywho, yes, some mystery snails are known to find the only hole in the lid and escape out. If your betta was picking on him (particularly his antennae), he may have been trying to escape the bully. He may have bounced and rolled, so check under/behind furniture or areas that are necessarily obvious.

I'd put a shallow dish of water with a slice of veggie in it, just in case he did escape. They can survive a few days out of water, but the fall may have damaged his shell, which can lead to infection.

Best wishes!

3. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well some snails are more...feisty than others, my trapdoor snails don't go anywhere near the top unless there is food, also keep looking i hear they can live out of water for awhile so you may get lucky and find him!

oh one last thing.. is there anything he/she could dig under mine are always digging holes in gravel.

(got sniped by engle...)

4. anunez91 Member Member

i guess that makes more sense, haha. Well, the good news is, he is a master of disguise, i walked in my room and he was just there, chilling on the substrate, i think he latched on good to the inside of one of the decorations (i shook it underwater to see if he would fall out) so, all is well, you mentioned about something with vegetables, do snails like vegetables, cause, i dont really overfeed my bettas too much so i try to drop a couple extra betta bites his way, i know he needs more than that but i never knew what snails ate, ive heared about blanched vegetables, how does one blanch a vegetable? any suggestions as to what i could feed him? sorry if it gets off topic, but im wondering here. =]

also, the new betta is a big softie, he does no harm, my gold one is the bully, even then he doesnt pick on the snail. so, all is well! =]

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Yup! They love veggies. Mine are eating cucumber atm. :)

I don't blanch mine & my snails/fish do fine eating the veggies, but if you want to blanch, just drop it in boiling water for a few seconds, then immediately drop it in ice water. That will soften it a bit.

I feed my snails wafers (check that it doesn't contain copper, copper sulfate, etc.), zucchini, cucumber, etc. Calcium rich veggies, like zucchini, give your snail the proper vitamins AND the calcium that's necessary for a healthy shell. I also add rinsed egg shells to the tank; they slowly dissolve and give the snails calcium. If your water is acidic, it's important to raise it with crushed coral or seashells because acidic water will deteriorate your snail's shell.

Some good links for info and even more links inside:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/snails/52969-mystery-snail-care.html
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-invertebrates/58328-good-snail-websites.html

:;toast

6. Robin4 Member Member

Hi Ariel,

I too have snails but I'm not an expert! To "blanch" a veggie is just to boil it so that it is soft for them to eat. Zucchinni is always a winner. It has calcium in it too which is great for their shells. Spinach, cucumber, green beans..... All need to be fresh veggies, not from a can as there is too much salt added to canned veggies. I have not tried the previous three but have read they are good. Anyone correct me if I am wrong!

Robin

7. anunez91 Member Member

thanks so much guys! =] i think im going to go see what we have and try it out. This place is amazing, whoever started it should win the nobel prize, haha. Also, will thawed frozen vegetables work?

8. Robin4 Member Member

I've used frozen peas for my shrimp and the MTS in that tank love them....

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. My snails love zucchini (raw, fresh, not blanched) I removed what hasn't been eaten after 24 hours. Too, my Mystery Snails love algae waffers.
    Ken

10. anunez91 Member Member

A question about the egg shells thing, or the extra calcium in general, will it screw up my bettas? will they even be affected at all by the extra calcium? Thanks for all the suggestions btw. =]

11. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

12. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I'm not certain about the betta specifically, but the calcium doesn't seem to affect my fish. :) If anything, maybe they'll have strong bones, too.

13. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, Mike's already got his? Whew! I was afraid we'd have to rescind Obama's and give it to Mike. :anim_63:

14. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

rofl!!!... you would make obama cry...... but anywho i would add the veggies and not extra food as bettas love extra food for them selves... NOT for their snail friends, just so you know... they can be piggies when given chance!

15. anunez91 Member Member

Ive read that bettas have a rather small appetite..... ive also cut the feedings to just bloodworms cause one of my bettas got through the divder and kicked the **** out of the other one, so, im trying to be very carefull with the params, doing extra water changes (every other day) with stress coat, They seem to be doing fine.

16. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Whoever said that bettas have a small appetite is an outright liar!

Mine beg for food all day every day and would happily eat themselves to death if given the chance.

I blanche my vegetables but I dont have a screwcumber so it allows the veggies to sink to the bottom of the tank without a weight :).

17. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

:animal0068:Hello. I have moved your thread to the "Freshwater Invertebrates/Snails" section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken