Question Are Mystery Snails Able To Survive Low Ph Water?

Roger121

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
At the point. I have some algae coz in my city we have some problems with the waters reseivors, idk if the water comes with more sediments or something. My shrimp tank have a ph of 6-6.5 always so my question is. Are the mystery snails able to survive into water with 6.5 or lower ph?

Oh, i forgot something important. Im talking about green filament algae.
The plan is put into the tank mistery snails . i think is obvious but i gonna say it xD.

Last edited by a moderator:

TankGeek

Valued Member
Reaction score
They will survive, however in the long term the acidity of the water will eat away or degrade your mystery snail's shell. If their shell and trapdoor becomes weak enough they will develop divers and craters and weak thin spots in the shell, or even die. You can put a mesh bag of crushed coral sand in the filter to buffer the water up to 7 or more. It will also add calcium to the water to help strengthen the shell. Also feed calcium rich foods like blanched broccoli and other dark green veggies, and their are recipes online for snail jelly (jello) supplemented with calcium.

Last edited:

TankGeek

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh and mystery snails are unlikely to eat stringy or hair algae with long fibres. They may eat other algae types. You're better off figuring out what imbalance in your tank is causing the algae in the first place. E.g.. too long lighting periods, too many nutrients, not enough plants etc.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom