Question Are Myriophyllum And Snails From A Local Canal Safe To Add?

Ms92

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI everyone,

I pulled out some weed from my local canal in London, UK - I understand it's probably not the cleanest ecosystem!

The weed appears to be myriophyllum and there are a few small snails.

It's all resting in a jug of water and there are a ton of bugs in there - tiny white specks which I guess are weevils, also some flailing worm like creatures that look like miniscule tadpoles/worms/fish.

I will wash the weed before I put it in the tank as I'm not comfortable with the unidentified bugs. But if a few were to survive and make it into the tank, I feel I should check they aren't dangerous to my fish.

Is the weed safe to add into my freshwater tank (with 2 platys)?

Are the snails "safe" to add to the aquarium?

Is there anything I need to do to make it safe? What sort of water should I "wash away" the bugs with?

Thanks for your help!

midnightwhale

Reaction score
I’m going to guess that the platies will probably eat the bugs and worms that you are worried about but I’m not too sure so get a second opinion. I have heard you could dip the plants in a 5% bleach solution to kill snail eggs so I would assume it would take out whatever else you don’t want on the plants. I’m still a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt lol.

New Threads