Are My Water Levels Good??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Goldiefishie, Apr 13, 2017.

1. G

Goldiefishie New Member Member

I have a goldfish and I've been trying to cycle my tank for about 3 months. I've been through all types of nitrite spikes and everything. So today I tested my water and my ph levels were really low so I did a 75% water change. Now my levels are:
    pH- 7.6
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate-0

I'm happy that both nitrite and ammonia levels are 0 I've never seen that but I for the past few weeks I've had at least 10-20 nitrates but my nitrites were like .5.. What happened to my nitrates and is it bad that I don't have any? And is the tank cycled?

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Nitrates were 0 probably because you did a 75% water change, and that probably removed all of the nitrates. Your tank sounds cycled.

3. OP
    OP
    G

They were 0 before the water change too but my goldfish is in a 10 gallon tank which is too small for him so I try to do large water changes like 50% once a day and I didn't change it for like 2 days so I did 75%

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Is your tank heavily planted?

5. OP
    OP
    G

What does that mean lol? I have 2 artificial plants.

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Heavily Planted would mean having a lot of live plants.

7. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

What method did you use when cleaning the filter (if you did clean the filter)? Did you make sure to use dechlorinator when you did the water change?

8. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

You have co2 in your tap water and you're reading the test incorrectly (it's not easy to read). If you had 20ppm nitrates and did and 75% water change you now have 5 ppm nitrates given there is no nitrate in your tap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice