Are My Tetras Eating Tankmates?

KJR
I currently have 4 white skirt tetras, 4 black skirt tetras, 4 neon tetras and 2 yellow glo tetras. In the past few weeks my other fish have disappeared, a rainbow shark, 3 algae eating shrimp, an otocinclus and this morning a red flame dwarf Gourami. We have checked the inside of the tank and all around it (55g) thoroughly with a flashlight and there is no sign of anything but the tetras and I’m wondering if they are responsible for the others going missing.

KimberlyG
Welcome to fishlore!
This is very strange. No signs of bodies anywhere inside or outside of the tank? Can you post a picture of the tank?

KimberlyG
There truly doesn't seem to be a place for them to hide. So now with the silly questions...Those ornaments have hollow bases with openings to allow water in so that they sink, do you have any fish in there? It looks like you are running an ungravel filter, in the right hand corner where there is no uplift tube, have they cleared a spot where they can get in? I had fish living in my undergravel filter before I ripped it out. I've even yanked live fish from canister filters.
I realize the answer to these is probably "No", but this is just too weird.

KJR
The base of the ornament actually sits flat on the bottom of the tank and the gravel is around it so I don’t see how anything could get under it. I don’t have a undergravel filter, I have 2 AquaClear 70’s with mesh around the openings in top so I can’t see them jumping out either. I just can’t figure it out, I’m scared to get any more fish!

KJR
It’s also strange that none of the tetras have disappeared, not even the little ones which makes me think they’re the culprits...

KimberlyG
It’s also strange that none of the tetras have disappeared, not even the little ones which makes me think they’re the culprits...
That is what I would think too but they are not eating bones. You should see remains especially from the rainbow shark and the gourami. Good luck. I'm plum out of ideas.

KJR
Thanks for trying, I’ll maybe take the ornament out, it’s just a hassle because the airline is buried and I don’t want to disturb things too much...

Niki Rose
The only possible thing I can think of is that they jumped out the tank, assuming there is no lid

KJR
The tank has a lid and the open areas around the filters are covered with mesh so I don’t think they could jump out...

KJR
When I got up this morning 2 of the neons were missing ☹️ Nothing is under the ruins. I added a couple of hiding spots but I guess they didn’t help much, I’m positive the tetras are responsible because that’s 8 fish gone now

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cindy22
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dark_Rider2k3
Replies
Views
Jaysee
Replies