Are My Tanks Cycled?

sheehanje

I have a 20 gallon and a 44 gallon. Each has 7 danios - one has a rubbernose pleco and one has a Chinese Algae Eater.

Checked the readings today - there is a trace of ammonia in each (less than .25ppm), 0 Nitrites

The 44 gallon has about 5ppm Nitrates, the 20 gallon has 20ppm Nitrates.

Both tanks show a small spike in Nitrites a few days ago, but it has been at 0 since.

I'm using the API Master Test Kit to get readings - and I've been vigilant about vigorously shaking bottle 2 for at least 30 seconds and the tube itself for a minute with the Nitrate test.

Really hoping these are at the end of the cycle - I just lost my last Kribensis in the 44 gallon (out of 4, they started in the 20 gallon). Really wish I found out about the nitrogen cycle sooner - the idiots at the LFS just said to run the tank about a week then add some fish.... I've since used Seachem Stability in conjunction with Prime to do a fish in cycle - but the kribs ended up taking the brunt of the stress. I just added the danios to each tank to make sure there is ammonia for the biological filter to keep healthy.

Endler Fan

It sounds like you're at the end of the cycle; just keep an eye on the ammonia / nitrite levels & if they stay at zero with fish in the tank, that will confirm it.

sheehanje

It sounds like you're at the end of the cycle; just keep an eye on the ammonia / nitrite levels & if they stay at zero with fish in the tank, that will confirm it.

Should I keep adding Stability or can I cut that off now?

Endler Fan

Safest to phase it out, adding a little less each day (like 3/4 of the full dose on day one, 1/2 day two, 1/4 day three) & keeping an eye on the ammonia & nitrites. If the Stability is still contributing significantly to keeping them down they'll go up a little and you can return to the normal dose and wait a week then try again. If the bacteria have successfully colonized your media they'll stay at zero.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ITsJake
Replies
Views
CJM
Replies
Views
mell312
Replies
Views