Are my swordtail fry ready to play with the big fish?

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well after a little scare with one of my swordtail fry (I decided to see how he got on with the two older fish and he appeared to be eaten, however I later saw him swimming in the tank with the swordtail I thought ate him!) I wanted to get some advice from the ever helpful community.

My swordtails are roughly 3 weeks old and are on average coming up to a 1cm long. Some are even starting to show their colours, but I was wondering if you felt that they could join a community consisting of two adult swordtails and soon either 3 kuhli loaches or a dwarf gourami?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't really give you an answer for this but I will share my experience with you... I discovered molly fry in the tank (swimming in the duckweed) a week ago and freaked out and put them all (10) into my breeder trap so they don't get eaten. A couple days later, I noticed 2 more just swimming around the bottom (luckily I've got plenty of cover with the large driftwood). Well I watched those 2 over the next week and they had no problems in the tank with all of the larger fish. In fact, those 2 fry were larger than the ones in my breeder trap that I thought I was overfeeding. Yesterday, I decided to let all of the fry out of the breeder trap so that they could go explore. I was expecting them to immediately search for cover, but no, they decide to just swim around with the other inhabitants. So far, all of them are safe and I try to count them all from time to time to make sure they're all still there. Sorry for this long-winded story but I'm sure many people here will tell you that they're ready to put back into the tank once they're larger than the other fish's mouths (although not necessarily true for more aggressive species). Hope this helps

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you and don't worry about long winded explanations, they're the most interesting

Danie

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I also have some swordtail fry in my tank, I couldn't find them at first though, they managed to find some good hiding places in the plants. The other day though I saw my Apistogrammas ambushing two of the fry, I think they escaped but I have only seen one since... so I know I have some in there somewhere.They were a bit smaller than yours and I would have thought if mine were a bit bigger they wouldn't have been thought of as food. Sorry if this isn't much help.

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not at all, any advice and experience is welcome.

I'm thinking that I might try again with letting one out after I get my new fish and see how it goes. The only thing really stopping me is that I've grown quite attached to the little guys (giving a couple away isn't an issue, I know they'll be alive and well that way but I wouldn't want to needlessly turn them into fish chow!)

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nope they aren't ready, I put in one of the bigger fry and had to take them straight out again as one of the swordtails went straight for him. Placing the little guy near some plants was a very good idea. I'll leave it a week or so.

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Too small yet. Wait a couple more weeks. Do you have floating plants in the tank?

Danie

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh well never mind. At least you didn't release them all in at once. I know what you mean when you get attached to the little guys. Many years ago I had my first swordtail fry and only one of them survived and I grew quite attached to her. She survived for about 5 years so I was pretty upset when she died last month

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ldbrown3138 said:
Too small yet. Wait a couple more weeks. Do you have floating plants in the tank?
I have got a small plant in the breeding net which they seem to like. Though the plant itself isn't actually a floating plant, it's doing quite well.

Danie said:
Oh well never mind. At least you didn't release them all in at once. I know what you mean when you get attached to the little guys. Many years ago I had my first swordtail fry and only one of them survived and I grew quite attached to her. She survived for about 5 years so I was pretty upset when she died last month
They do get under your skin somewhat don't they? ;D I'm just glad I managed to save the two that ventured forth into the tank beyond.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads