Are My Snails Mating?

1. jtwizz Member Member

This is the fourth or fifth time in the last week I have found my snails in a... compromising position... when should I expect baby snails? 20170710_211341.jpg 20170710_211341.jpg

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Keep watch on the inside rim and the underside of the hood/lid for the appearance of pale pinkish grape-like clusters of eggs. There may be some there already. Take a look!

3. jtwizz Member Member

Nothing yet, but I'll keep an eye out. Before I noticed the mating behavior though, I was beginning to wonder if something was wrong with the brown (female?) one.... she isn't very active and I almost never see her eating anything. Also, both snails were the same size when I got them 3 weeks ago, and the white one has tripled in size, where the brown one has stayed the same size.

4. Piggy50 Initiate Member

What kind of snails do you have? I have a nerite snail. I didn't know you did feed them. I've had mine for like three months and it's just living of the algae.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can you get a photo of them side by side for comparison?

Nerite snails usually do live off the algae rather than prepared foods.

6. jtwizz Member Member

They're mystery snails. And I don't really feed them much, but I don't really have that much algae in my tank. But I don't even see her scavenging for what little algae there is. The white one is constantly scavenging. (It's so cool watching his little mouth open and close when he's on the glass)

7. jtwizz Member Member

20170711_044956.jpg

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Mystery snails don't really go for algae IME except as a last resort. They really need supplemental feeding with veggies and protein. I like to give sinking wafers and shrimp pellets.

9. jtwizz Member Member

I made them snail jello which I can't tell if they were eating it or not, bc it wasn't quite firm enough, so it would break apart into the water in less than 24hrs. I also have been trying kelp sheets, but same thing, they break apart in the water. The white one is definitely eating some of the algae though, as well as whatever flake food their tankmates (platyfish) don't eat, that makes it to the bottom. Like I said, I just never see the brown one even look like she's looking for food. She spends most of the time hiding inside one of the caves, inside her shell, sleeping.