are my silver sharks are ill?

Katfish100

Reaction score
Until last week i had 4 silver sharks in my tank - then last Wednesday one popped its cloggs which I wasn't too worried about it happens from time to time. Then over the weekend I noticed that one of the other's dorsal fin and little fins on its tummy (sorry not sure what they are called) had gone red and it didn't look very well - just floating around a bit and not rushing around as normal. I inspected the tank this morning to find it belly up. I've tested the water and all seems ok. Have they got something that I need to be medicating? All the other fish seem fine.

Any help greatfully received

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you checked this post? .. some good links and maybe you can identify what the problem is with them.. it might be skin flukes, septicemia or costia.. or none of the above.. compare symptoms to what you see there. Are the other silver sharks looking normal & acting normal?

Katfish100

Reaction score
the other sharks and other fish in the tank seem fine too. I cant seem to find anything like what the 1 with red fins had on the list of diseases. Guess ill never know what the matter was

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katfish100 said:
the other sharks and other fish in the tank seem fine too. I cant seem to find anything like what the 1 with red fins had on the list of diseases. Guess ill never know what the matter was
There are a lot of these 'mystery deaths' with fish.. i guess vet. science still have a lot to learn about them. Since all the others seem fine, I wouldn't add any meds. Good luck with your tank.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to fishlore Katfish, sorry for your loss! :'( Any time you have a problem with your tank like that the first thing I would recommend, even if you don't know what caused it, would be a 50% water change. It can help, especially if the water parameters are off.

Is this a new tank? Have you been testing for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If so what are the readings? If you test these and let us know, we may be able to give more suggestions. Best of Luck

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom