Are My Shrimp Sick?

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by Noah-Landon, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Noah-Landon

Noah-LandonNew MemberMember

My bamboo shrimp are acting strange. Im semi-new to tge hobby, and this is my most successful tank so far. Lately though, my bamboo shrimp have been acting strange. At first it was just the bug one, who began to act lazily ang slow. The little one seemed fine until about yesterday when the same thing happened to him. They just mope about. Ice also noticed that their claws looke "clumped" or stuck together/ fused, and their tails curl up while they move around. They just molted last week, so I suppose they could just have had a bad molt, but I want to be sure. (Also, they share this tank with a single corydoras catfish and one small algae eater.) Tank parameters are as follows:

Nitrate- 0 ppm
    Nitrite- .5 ppm
    Total Hardness- 50 ppm
    Total Alkalinity- 200 ppm
    Ph- 8.0

The ph is a lot higher than I want it to be,but I tried to medicate it,to little affect, even though it seemed like i was using to much at times. Any suggestions for this is appreciated as well

Photos of the larger shrimp,who seems the worst affected:

Attached Files:

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

I can't really see the clumping of the claws that you're speaking of, but 0.5 ppm nitrites is definitely an issue and especially with inverts such as shrimp.
    You need to cycle the tank or sort out the cause of the nitrites. Do you have any results from an ammonia test?

Let the pH of 8.0 be. It's not an issue at all. The only thing that could potentially be an issue is you trying to change it causing it to fluctuate if you're unlucky. The stuff you used to try to alter the pH or a sudden change in pH (from using the product) could also be the cause of the odd behaviour.

3. -Mak-

-Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

I think those are amano shrimp, not bamboos. The nitrite could be an issue.

4. OP
    OP
    Noah-Landon

Sorry I forgot about that. My ammonia alert tag says its in the safe zone, so it shouldnt be a problem. Thank you for the nitrite suggestion, I'll do what I can . Also, sorry about all those ugly spelling mistakes in the post, I was in a bit of a rush.

5. OP
    OP
    Noah-Landon

They were sold to me as bamboo shrimp : /. Thanks for letting me know.

6. Timmy1027

Timmy1027Valued MemberMember

Nitrite 0.5 and nitrate 0 means that your cycle is not finished. You have to have a fully cycled tank before adding any shrimp, for they are sensitive to toxins.

7. Timmy1027

Timmy1027Valued MemberMember

Also, don't trust Ammonia alert tag too much, it is not accurate. Ammonia should be absolute 0, there is no safe range for that.

8. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

These are not bamboo shrimp they are Amano shrimp for sure. Why is your ph so high? Also what Meds did you put in?
    I hope you did not pay for bamboo shrimp they are about twice as expensive as Amano at least near me.
    Get your tank cycled and stable don’t worry to much about the Ph most shrimp will adapt go slow and steady and you will be successful.
    BTW Amano will not reproduce in fresh water