Are my shrimp hiding or am I kidding myself?

redmare

5.5 gallon shrimp tank, started with 12 RCS. Started in early march. Been doing really well and have several berried females. I regularly find healthy sheds. Temp-74 pH-7.8 Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-5-10 gH-120 kH-180. Planted with java ferns and a lot of java moss, and a large piece of driftwood. Feed hikari shrimp cuisine and peters shrimp pellets, and there's a good bit of algae on the moss and biofilm on cholla wood and driftwood. No ferts. No CO2.

I was doing a little bit of adjustment to my tank, moving my log a bit and switching a rock and a plant and such, and during all that I only counted 5 shrimp. I spend time every single day watching them and peering around in the tank, and do weekly water changes and maintenance, and I have never found a body. So.... are they just being sneaky, hiding under my log and in the moss and such? Or are they actually dying off? Of the 5 I laid eyes on, it's 2 males and 3 berried females so hopefully if I did lose some, the population will grow again. I know I've heard the phrase "for every shrimp you see there's 10 you don't" but I just don't know anymore... thoughts??

Fisheye

Well they do hide in places we probably can't even see! So I suggest dropping in a pellet/wafer/something, at the front of the glass. They'll come out to eat and get counted.

If that doesn't work, check tank with a flashlight a couple of hours after lights out.

redmare

Well they do hide in places we probably can't even see! So I suggest dropping in a pellet/wafer/something, at the front of the glass. They'll come out to eat and get counted.

If that doesn't work, check tank with a flashlight a couple of hours after lights out.
They've always fed just 2 or 3 at a time, and in shifts. I gave them their favourite pellet and got 2, and then saw 2 more like an hour later... so who knows. I'll try the flashlight tonight!

kallililly1973

Try blanched veggies like spinach and kale i believe they really like that. Just going by my own researcha nd what i've found here. My luck with shrimp is non-existent.

Fisheye

They feed in shifts? That's kind of funny.

Word of warning with the flashlight trick-it startles them so if you have an open top, just beware of jumpers.

Hope you find more!!

redmare

They feed in shifts? That's kind of funny.

Word of warning with the flashlight trick-it startles them so if you have an open top, just beware of jumpers.

Hope you find more!!
I have 5 cats, the top is closed!! haha

ProudPapa

Feed them in the same place and at the same time every day. That may help you see more, but in any case I suspect you have many more than five.

richiep

Starting your tank in early March is only now 2months old now and shrimp do better in established tanks of 3monthes or more, saying that nature as a way of helping and I'm sure you may have lost a few in the early stage and they were eaten by the others, now time as moved on and some have survived and are now Berried so hopefully from here on in you should see a growth in your colony, stick with it, show us some photos

barbiespoodle

Maybe I missed it, but kind of filter are you using?

For shrimp it's best to use a sponge filter. Not only does it give shrimp another grazing place from the bio film that forms on it, but a hang on back filter can suck up baby shrimp, remember, they are tiny when first hatched.

Other wise, your tank sounds great for shrimp, I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

And yes, shrimp will hide. When I first started, my original stock spent more time hiding than out in the open. But as the babies started, once they were big enough to venture out, they were more apt to spend their time out in the open. I think it's because it was always their home so they were more comfortable about being out and about since they knew there was no reason to hide.

redmare

Maybe I missed it, but kind of filter are you using?

For shrimp it's best to use a sponge filter. Not only does it give shrimp another grazing place from the bio film that forms on it, but a hang on back filter can suck up baby shrimp, remember, they are tiny when first hatched.

Other wise, your tank sounds great for shrimp, I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

And yes, shrimp will hide. When I first started, my original stock spent more time hiding than out in the open. But as the babies started, once they were big enough to venture out, they were more apt to spend their time out in the open. I think it's because it was always their home so they were more comfortable about being out and about since they knew there was no reason to hide.
It's a hob, but with a sponge over the intake. I put a piece of pantyhose over it when I started it and then switched to a sponge. They do love grazing on it!

Fisheye

Any sightings? I hope so!

redmare

There's definitely some out and about! I just can't tell how many, I've still only counted 5 maybe 6 at one instant

There's definitely some out and about! I just can't tell how many, I've still only counted 5 maybe 6 at one instant

tjander

I have ran a canister filter on my shrimp tank for years all I do is put a sponge over the intake. Works great, just need to remember to clean your sponge as it will impair your water flow. Don’t work about missing a few shrimp. Half the fun of shrimping is playing count the shrimp. Good luck

redmare

So i took everything out of my tank and there are 6 shrimp in there! 4 berried girls and 2 boys, doing well. but... where did the other 6 go??? did they die and get eaten by the other shrimp? did they crawl out of the tank and get eaten by cats?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tjander
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
LilyPipeDreams
Replies