Are My Rocks In My Tank Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by wapooshe, Apr 18, 2017.

1. wapooshe

wapoosheValued MemberMember

So i am right now in the process of fishless cycling and I took a look a closer look at the rocks in my tank and saw that some of them are kind of rough while some are smooth. In order to save money from buying gravel I bought 75lb of Home Depot rocks (each rock is about 1 inch to 1 inch and a half). I cleaned these rocks with water very thoroughly. My question here is should my fish be safe from rough rocks once i put fish in or should i buy a bag of pet store gravel to create a thin surface above the rocks?

2. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

I'd be more worried about the rocks creating a toxic environment than the roughness. What kind of rock is it?

3. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I would also worry what they are made out of. You can take the rough one out and add a few drops of white vinegar to it, if it fizzes, then you probably don't want it in your tank.

4. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

I like rocks from a local river, smooth rocks, they can be cleaned and made safe for your aquarium.

5. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Here's a nice video of sourcing your own aquarium rocks:

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

Fish come from environments with very rough rocks. They aren't from smooth glass fishtanks, long term.
    You may have rocks that release minerals into your water (or not), and what your water is like to start will decide if that matters. As well, a lot depends on the fish you plan to keep - many popular species have evolved to need hard water from dissolved minerals.

7. ItsmeValued MemberMember

It just depends on what fish you're going to keep.The fish that comes to mind when I hear rough gravel is the Corydora Catfish;since it can affect their barbels.Other than that I would only be worrying about how it'll affect the water quality.I suggest testing a rock or two with white vinegar,if it bubbles it is mostly likely not safe.

8. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Roughness of rocks arent really a problem except for fish with long thin delicate fins.. like a betta. Even then it would have to have a drastic piece sticking out to do damage. I keep lava rock and ohko stone in almost every aquarium.. they're essentially cheese graters and I've never had an issue

9. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

thank you for all the replies! I just set up the vinegar test and thankfully my rocks seem to be chemically safe! If there is anything else I may need to know please say so!

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Could you please place a pic ?

11. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

Those are large rocks. Just curious what size your tank is? Many people do suggest the river rocks from Home Depot. However, that implication is that they were smoothed out rocks, since jagged rocks are also a concern. At some point, people do get bottom feeders, be is a snail, pleco, or some kind of catfish, so knowing that their substrate is safe for current or future fish, is something to think about.

12. OP
    OP
    wapooshe

I have a 75 gallon tank. To give a better idea of my rock texture. If you held one in your hand and rubbed it, it would not scratch you. But if you fell down hard on these rocks they would probably make you bleed. I'll post a pic later when I can

Also I plan on getting a clown pleco. But do I need smooth rocks across my entire surface? I have a few large smooth places in my tank being large stones and decor. So maybe these could be where the pleco stay?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice