Are My Platies Pregnant/How Far Along?

1. taylor9424 Initiate Member

Hi all!
    I have never had platies before and decided to do an all female tank. Of course, I know that the chances of them being pregnant from the store are extremely high. The pet store said they will take the fry, so I want to know when I can expect babies! Here are some pictures of my three girls. I am fairly sure the Mickey Mouse and Bumblebee are pregnant.. not so sure about the Panda.

Mickey Mouse:
    DSC_1618.jpg

Bumblebee:
    DSC_1626.JPG

Panda:
    DSC_1616.jpg

Any input is welcomed! Thanks!!

2. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

I'm pretty sure the red mickey mouse is pregnant. With the others being female platys they are sure to be pregnant as well!

We came home with 4 red wag platys less than a month ago (1 male, 3 female) and already have a tank full of fry. We had them in a 20 g but have since moved the male to our 75 g. Any surviving male platys will go to the 75 as well when they are big enough.

3. taylor9424 Initiate Member

I wish I had the room to keep fry! That's why I just got females.. I was hoping that a few batches of fry would be enough to keep me content :) lol

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They're all pregnant & not far off from dropping their fry by the looks of it.
    They can store sperm for several months so you're going to have quite a lot of fry before too long

5. taylor9424 Initiate Member

Well.. I found 2 fry in the tank today! They are the cutest little things! One is orange and the other is translucent. I moved them to a breeder for now. My Mickey Mouse platy looks a little slimmer, so my bet is on her. Do you think she had more and they got eaten, did she have a small batch, or possibly still holding some?

6. Deltoy Initiate Member

Feed it to the Platy.. Joking.