Are my Plants Melting?

1. Maci14 Member Member

I have a 20g Long, Black Diamond Blasting Sand substrate, a ZooMed UltraSun 6500k bulb, 2 sponge filters rated for 40g each, and 6 Serpae Tetra. There are 17 stems of Bacopa Caroliniana and 1 Broadleaf Saggiteria with 2 more root systems coming in.

The tank has been set up for about 4 weeks, the plants in for 3 weeks, and the fish have been in for 2 weeks. I have been dosing 2.5ml of Flourish x2 weekly. The Sagittaria doesn't look any better than it did when I planted it, and the Bacopa has gotten really brown and the stems have gotten soft. Algae is starting to become a problem. Could this just be the transition stage from possibly being grown emersed, then I submerged them? I have 2 oto cats in my 29g, they've worked wonders for that tank. Is it worth moving them to my 20g? (Which I planned on doing in a few months when the tank is more established, and try to get some more.) But since the tank is not established I don't really like this idea, even though I got lucky and the 2 otos I have like shrimp pellets.

rsz_20160616_161118.jpg
    In this picture you can see a Bacopa laying on the substrate, this stem is soft, not firm.

rsz_20160616_161102.jpg
    In this picture you can see all of the algae on my fake hide, 1 filter, and my heater. There is not much growing on my tank walls or the driftwood. But my moss balls are also either getting algae on them or something is happening to them, too. I'm also getting some hair algae on the tops of some of the plants.

The water parameters in this tank are (please keep in mind this tank is still cycling):
    Ammo- 0ppm
    Nitrites- .25ppm
    Nitrates- 40ppm

I am also getting things ready to do a 50% WC tonight.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Root feeders need root tabs.

I'd be willing to bet your lighting isn't enough for the Bacopa.

3. Maci14 Member Member

I was under the impression that Bacopa was a low light plant and took most of its nutrients from the water column? I was told by other fishlorians that my lighting should be significant enough for low light plants. The Sagittaria hasn't gotten any worse and still looks better than the bacopa, but I was going to try to get some root tabs next month.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

There are some Bacopa that are medium light, but yes, that one appears to be low light. That still doesn't mean that your light is sufficient though - your light may be giving off only a very low PAR. If I had to guess what the issue was, that would be my guess.

I was referring to the root tabs for the dwarf sag. Sorry for not clarifying!

5. Maci14 Member Member

The new sprouts for the broadleaf Sag. are coming in very green. Depending on where they were planted, some of the Bacopa had great root systems growing. I've trimmed all of the rotten/bad looking leaves from all of the plants and now have them floating at the top of my tank. I guess I'll give this a try and if they get better with time it could be the PAR unit of my light. So without buying a reader, is there any way to determine my PAR? I've looked all night trying to find something online but I couldn't find anything.