Are my parrot fish mating?

Lodex13

Hi all,

I noticed some changes in my parrot fishes behaviors. The male is doing that vibrating thing and pushing away my male blue dolphin fish more often. My female is swimming at the bottom more and is eating less. She used to swim to the top for food and was a bit more sassy. My male has been changing colors, mostly he's gotten lighter. I believe I've seen them moving gravel around, but I'm not entirely sure.

Just curious if these behaviors signify the parrots may be trying to mate?

Oh one thing to add. I just noticed that theres a giant pile of gravel cleared down to the glass in one of the caves

Lodex13

So I have two parrot fish (Fred and Wilma) that paired up immediately when I added a second parrot. They're now trying to nest. They've been a little pushy with the one other fish in my tank, but nothing past pushing him away from the area they're digging. I know it can be difficult to figure out the sex on these fish, but it seems like the bigger fish, who I thought was a male, is turning lighter in color and is working on the nest more than the other fish.

Any thoughts on what sex these are? The I realize the chances of these two having adorable baby fish is slim to none. Feel free to share any helpful advice for a potential first time gill Grandma?

Images: First and second images are the fish that I initially thought was male, he has a more round body (which I thought was associated with a female)and brighter colors and a fish forehead. The last image was the only one I could get with both of them. Bottom we thought was the male and top a female. They both have that dip in the front but the lighter fish is bigger.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.22.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.22.36 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.23.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.23.09 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.23.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.23.27 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Fishfriendof315

They are, the bottom is female and top is male. The analfin is more rounded for female and male are more squared/ flat. Males have leess pronounced gap between dorsal and tail fin, almost non existent at times( like yours). The guys usually build the nests. Females always have that shimmer of a buldge right behind the eyes, great pic of it!!

Lodex13

Ah ok. I was reading some conflicting info. That the female is lighter, bigger and has less of a fish forehead haha. I have the cave they were cleaning out slightly tipped so I have a good glimpse of whats going on in there. I know chances are low, but baby parrot fish would be ridiculously adorable :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
americanninja
  • Question
Replies
Views
Anarchy1213
  • Question