Are my params correct for 1 week after adding colony

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by West Allis Dad, Dec 4, 2012.

1. West Allis DadNew MemberMember

Amm - .25
    Nitrate - 0
    Nitrite - .5
    Ph - 7.2
    Alk - 120
    Hardness - 75

8 blood fin tetra and 7 days since I added ATM colony. Have not changed any water only added top off with API declorine. What next??

2. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Are you still performing daily water changes, or are you currently using something to enhance the cycling process?

3. OP
    OP
    W

West Allis DadNew MemberMember

I used a bottle of colony bacteria by ATM.

4. OP
    OP
    W

We have only been running for 1 week with fish.

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'd wait another week and test again. Don't do a waterchange yet.

6. flynruff

flynruffValued MemberMember

7. OP
    OP
    W

I will be getting another bottle today and putting it in tonight.

I just added another bottle. This one was I think better. The first bottle was clearer and had white flakes in it. This was a bit cloudy and no flakes.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  8. flynruff

Just curious how are your parameters now?

9. OP
    OP
    W

I will be testing tomorrow night. I had to top off the water after dinner. I will post the results. One thing the tank has cleared up nicely and the bloodfins have really gotten a good color to them.

Opinions for next fish??

Ammonina 0
    Nitrite 5.0
    Nitrate 40
    Ph 7.8

I know already water change. About 20%

Water change done about 10%. 10% more each night for until Sunday. Will test again then.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  10. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress!

Ken

11. flynruff

Seems like the colony is struggling. With that high nitrite (according to ATM) colony won't be as effective.
    No ammonia though, so it looks like you are getting close. How are the fish doing?

12. OP
    OP
    W

The fish seem active. The water change last dropped the rites to 3.0 and rates to 20. I will be performing another water change tonight. Do you think that will help the colony kick in better??

12-16

Went to my friend who runs the fish room at a local pet store. I thought I was losing my tank. Took a good sample of water with. Gave her the complete run down of all that I have done to the tank. She tested the water and in her 10 plus years said I was right on for my params and the cycle should be finished by year end. The API she used only showed 1 nitrite and 10 on nitrate and 0 ammonia.

The advice is ZERO wc, use prime when topping off , feed mwf only and dose the recommend for the API bacteria every other day. I am to bring back a sample next Sunday to see how it is going. The only thing she also suggested is to use my two little fishes reactor as a nitrate sponge. That went in tonight with the exact directions and it is working like she said it would.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  13. OP
    OP
    W

So far today looking good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice