Are My Oto's Going To Starve?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chadcf, Feb 26, 2018.

1. chadcf

chadcfValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    When we picked up a betta for my daughter, they had some of them housed with oto's and the LFS said they'd be a good tankmate. So far it seems like they do get along fine, however it's been about 24 hours and the Oto's have thoroughly cleaned the tank leaving it spic and span and algae free.

I'm now worried they're gonna starve... I have 3 of them in a 10 gallon but could rehome them to my 38 gallon if need be. I've so far tried putting in algae wafers and they either haven't found them or don't like them. I tried putting in some blanched spinach but it just kinda floats... Tried some blanched cucumber and one of them nibbled at it for a second and then left, maybe I didn't blanch it enough?

Anything else I can try? I'd hate for these guys to starve off. My main tank has a ramshorn snail infestation so I don't think there'd be much for them to eat in there either because the snails keep it all clean...

2. Verne

VerneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'd move them to the 38, and try some frozen sprulina

3. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    Where do you get frozen spirulina? Do LFS tend to carry that?

I do think they'd be happier in the bigger tank but I worry they would get even less food due to competition with the snails. Though I could try to get rid of the snails, but I fear that may be a real battle.

4. Verne

VerneValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    otos should be in at least 20 gallons, as they are very active and like groups. Yes, i know petsmart carries frozen fish foods. Amazon also sells it.

5. DirtyEw0k

DirtyEw0kWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +114
    Experience:
    1 year
    They would be fine with snails. I got my otos in a tank with snails. Make sure you have good lighting and leave it on fir extended periods to help grow algae for them to eat. Also do you have live plants? Mine eat off a lot of my java fern and they go crazy for frogbit. They love eating algae off my floating plants. Maybe try adding some. They are easy and don’t require a lot. They also eat off the catappa leaves i have in my tank. Try throwing a few in there. They will take a few days to sink but they might like to much off those as well.

My otos aren’t crazy about veggies either but i do feed my snails a lot of romaine lettuce and blanched carrots on a veggie clip from the pet store and i find they spend less time anywhere else when they have a good food source so it gives more glass for the otos. Maybe give it a try 4]

6. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    The 10 gallon has a micro sword, anubias and driftwood with java moss. It had a fair coating of algae around but they cleaned it up good... The lighting there is probably not amazing but I've got it on 12 hours a day and am dosing seachem flourish. Pic attached!

The bigger tank has pretty good planting currently, java fern, driftwood with moss, anubias, sword, hornwort and dwarf sag. Haven't decided yet. I don't think they'll survive long in either tank if they won't eat supplemental food. Hopefully as they settle they'll start to eat something I add.

Attached Files:

7. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,771
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sometimes it takes a bit of time for fish to learn what is actually food. I would be willing to bet that if you keep offering algae wafers and veggies it won't take long to acclimate them to it. Just keep putting it in the same place in the tank so they can get used to it being there.

I don't blanch the veggies I give Elbert, my bristle nose pleco but some folks do. They make veggie clips to hold the the veggies down but some folks put it on a fork or something like that to hold it down. Just tie some fishing line (or equivalent) to it to make it easier to retrieve.

8. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah we shall hope! I'm going to set up a bucket with a 24x7 CFL lamp and some rocks too and grow some more food. I'd also like to see about adding some better lighting (this was originally going to be a shrimp tank but then of course my daughter saw a betta and that was that). Right now it just has 3 small led strip lights in it. Is there a good light for a 10 gallon that would better grow algae and not cost a small fortune?

9. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,771
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sunshine works good I can't help you with lighting for algae. I have had my tank back up and running for well over 2 years now and it still doesn't have any so am assuming that florescent tube lights won't help you. I keep mine on at least 12 hours a day and sometimes up to 15.

10. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah I live in Oregon, sunshine can be hard to come by 3/4 of the year

11. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Experience:
    1 year
    Funny.

Other threads ask, “how do I get rid of my algae?”

The rocks in a bucket should work. I get this isn’t the time of year for that. Try to get them to May, then buckets with rocks outside should get them to thrive.

Rocks in buckets with artificial light is your best option now. But come summer, over do it so you have some for next winter.

12. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yeah my only worry is it'll take a few weeks to grow anything in a bucket. Hopefully they'll eat something else until then.

Do I need to 'seed' a bucket with something? I plan to get a cheap gooseneck lamp and a 100w equivalent CFL bulb and dose it with some flourish. But how does algae start growing, is it floating around in the air? Seems like there has to be some algae in there to start with for it to grow....

13. Hunter1

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Experience:
    1 year
    No expert but think algae spores are everywhere but grabbing a gallon of pond/creek water will probably have higher concentration.

14. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    So I also ordered some Reshapy Soilent Green to try as well, looks like really good stuff that would sustain them nicely if I can get them to figure out it's food. Maybe I can slice it really thin and lay it over the endcap of the heater which they love to suck on...

15. Hunter1

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Experience:
    1 year
    Good luck!

16. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well overnight an algae wafer disappeared. I'm hoping the oto's found it and it wasn't the betta expanding his pallet (which seems unlikely given how picky he is).

17. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,748
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They love some.protein as well. You can crumble some food so they can scavage the leaves for it.

18. OP
    OP
    chadcf

Ratings:
    +90
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think the algae wafers are decent on protein. I also realized that the cucumber was missing and found it drug half around the tank with about 1/3 of it nibbled away. Phew! It took a few days but looks like they got hungry enough to try some new things so it looks like I was prematurely panicking. I am eager to see how they feel about the soilent green stuff though, looks like good nutrition for them.

19. <>< Rhys ><>

<>< Rhys ><>Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    Just started
    How old is the tank? they love a established tank maybe there was not enough algae in the 10 gallon tank.

20. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,748
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    There are differebt kind of protein.
    Oto's love "meaty" food now and then as well. Bloodworms, shrimppellets aso. 1afac60cb35ffae2351b5e5f31a06010.