Are My Oto Doing Ok?

1. cosentik

cosentik Valued Member Member

I just introduced an oto to my tank, and have read they they are pretty hard to keep and are notorious for dying after a week or so if not in perfect conditions (any discussion to educate me on this is also welcome), so I just wanted to see what you guys thought. My question is pretty simple- My fish seems happy and is eating, active and pooping. So he should be doing fine, right? What usually goes wrong after the initial few weeks with these guys?

(I plan on getting more of them, I failed to do proper research before buying this one because I was just looking for a small algae eater, and didn't realize they were better in large groups.)

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Yep once they pass the two week mark they should be good, your fish sounds happy keep up the good work

3. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Is my Oto doing ok? You only got one? Get some more.

Otos are often wild caught and arrive malnourished / underfed in our tanks.
    Thoughts are that the bacterial flora in their guts died of and they ate not able to digest theur food = they'll die !

When you buy Oto's look for active fish with filled bellies.

4. OP
    OP
    cosentik

• Hi thanks for the info! I actually just went to petco and got 2 more when they opened because I felt confident that the one I had was doing well in my tank (notice in my original post that was my plan). They were very active and looked to be feeding at the pet store and they immediately found a spot to latch on and went to work when they got released into my tank. Thanks!

5. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Idk keep them in a school of 6 pr more, that's the general rule of schooling fish, just a word of advice

6. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Hi @cosentik! Welcome to Fishlore :)

I agree with the above post that otos prefer to be in a group of 6+. In your profile, I noticed that you have a 10-gallon tank. It is generally recommended that otos have a tank that is a minimum of 20-gallons. You also have a zebra danio, which are schooling fish (again, 6+ is preferred). A 20-gallon long tank would be a great set-up for 6 danios, 6 otos, and your 3 platies. Any chance of upgrading to a larger tank? If not, you may want to consider returning the otos and danio. Three platies would be fine in a 10-gallon.

Edited to add: People here can also suggest other fish that would do well in a 10-gallon set-up if you are interested in other ideas.

7. OP
    OP
    cosentik

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I actually need to update my profile. I do still have a 10g, but my stock is actually 2 male platys, 2 male guppies, one Amano shrimp( random buy at the lfs, it was the last one they had), and now 3 oto cats. The tank is moderately planted and cycled.

With that being said, I do intend to upgrade the tank within a few weeks before the dpg sale is up at petco. I plan on getting a 20g, but maybe just a bit larger. I'm tight on space, hence the 10g. I will then add some more otos :)

8. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a great plan! I have a 29-gallon and I really like it :) Hope all goes well with your otos!