Are My Other Fish at Risk?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

i posted a few days ago about my injured cory. I believe it was do to a piece of slate. I have since rearranged to prevent from it happening
Again

The wound has developed a noticeable infection. I have only been preforming water changes at this point and all water parameters have been in check before and during this.

My assumption is this is an infection from the open wound- which makes sense. But are my other fish at risk by leaving the Cory in the tank while it works it’s course?

Should I consider further treatment or stay the current course.

Here is a picture from Sunday afternoon and today.

Attachments

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’d say no but any injury in the tank could be prone to the same issue. The fact that the Cory got cut and infected means the pathogen already existed in the tank.

OP
Cody

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
H Farnsworth said:
I’d say no but any injury in the tank could be prone to the same issue. The fact that the Cory got cut and infected means the pathogen already existed in the tank.
Thanks for the reply and understood.

Couldn’t that be said for many pathogens though? Hence the importance of practice the best care as possible to avoid making fish susceptible.

I get your point that any fish that is injured is subjected to this at this point.

I guess just clearing up if your pointing out they are ALWAYS at risk or that actions should be taken to eliminate the pathogen?

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could definitely strip the tank down and clean it while treating all your fish and decor for bacteria and fungi. Labor intensive and you’d likely lose fish. If you get that far you would then just quarantine every fish you add for 2-3 weeks while treating them with antibiotics and anti fungal medication. Even then it’s possible and likely that you over time reintroduce an opportunist to the tank without even knowing it.

Basically just keep the water clean and follow basic qt measures and you’ll run into very few issues keeping fish. If it were my tank I’d do nothing different except maybe up the water changes.

If it started to spread I would start thinking differently.

OP
Cody

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
H Farnsworth said:
You could definitely strip the tank down and clean it while treating all your fish and decor for bacteria and fungi. Labor intensive and you’d likely lose fish. If you get that far you would then just quarantine every fish you add for 2-3 weeks while treating them with antibiotics and anti fungal medication. Even then it’s possible and likely that you over time reintroduce an opportunist to the tank without even knowing it.

Basically just keep the water clean and follow basic qt measures and you’ll run into very few issues keeping fish. If it were my tank I’d do nothing different except maybe up the water changes.

If it started to spread I would start thinking differently.
Kind of reassured my thoughts.

I always find the treatment debate interesting. I see some you tubers and other hobbyist the believe in treating every fish because they believe all fish from suppliers carry something. Which I could kind of understand.

Then there are those fully against medicating fish which I see the point there as well. If I get a sore throat antibiotics will help it go away faster but my body can handle it on its own. So same could be said if I have the best environment and husbandry of my fish they should be able to overcome most ailments on their own as well.

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I stand somewhere in the middle of the treatment game. I do qt every fish for ich and I deworm every fish but that’s it unless I see signs of a bacterial infection or fungus. Once you have an established community tank you really do need the qt for ich at the very least.

New Threads