Are My Oscars Fighting Or Breeding

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Missyme, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Missyme

Missyme New Member Member

2. vijay3242

vijay3242 Well Known Member Member

Hello. Your oscars are lip-locking it could mean fighting or breeding behaviours. Do you know the sexes. Also what size tank do you have.

3. OP
    OP
    Missyme

I have no idea on sex I've tried to figure it out it's just beyond me and they're in a 55 gallon

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

You have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them, that could be the source of the fighting if it's not breeding behaviour.

5. vijay3242

Most likely your Oscars are fighting. Oscars usually fight with each other. As is your tank is not appropriate for even one oscar so they are probably fighting for territory.

6. OP
    OP
    Missyme

20170413_203056.jpg
    I'm also having an issue with this brown stuff growing all over the place in a different tank

Why is my 55 gallon tank not appropriate for an Oscar

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  7. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

The "brown stuff" looks like diatoms, which should go away on its own. If you don't like it though, you can just scrub it off, it comes off quite easily
    One reason that a 55 gallon is not appropriate is that the Oscars will get much bigger. Oscars are very aggressive fish and need a lot of "territory" if you were to have more than one.
    The minimum I would say for an Oscar is a 75g.

8. vijay3242

The 55 does not have enough swimming space for an oscar and the capacity. What type of filter do you have. The brown stuff is diatoms.

9. OP
    OP
    Missyme

Okay well I split the two up the only other tank I had was a 30 long so I have the smallest one in it in the biggest I left in the 55 just going to have to make do with what they got right noThank you

Is so old I can't remember what type of filter it is but it's a double 1492131500462926689128.jpg

10. vijay3242

A double what.

11. OP
    OP
    Missyme

Get the double filter I got two filters in it too soon to sides it's for a 100 gallon or was you asking about the filter in the tank with the brown stuff that is a 3 gallon betta tank and it I don't know what kind of filter it is it's just that come with it 1492139571678-184609926.jpg

I really need to learn to talk slower so this thing will type what I say and make sense LOL

12. _IceFyre_

The problem is a 55 gallon is only 12 inches wide and oscars can get 12 inches or larger so it would be very difficult for them to turn around. Minimum tank size for 2 oscars is 100 gallons with 125+ being the reccomended size.

13. OP
    OP
    Missyme

I understand when they get bigger I'll have to have a bigger tank for him but right now they're only 3 inches. And I couldn't figure out why they were saying 55 was not big enough for the size they are now. I know I have to get a bigger one but I've got time that's what I was trying to figure out if everybody was saying that don't have a big enough tank now. But I figured out everybody's talking about when they get big. And by the time they get too big for this tank I will have another one. Looking for a deal on one now.

The tank with that brown stuff on the Rocks is a 3-gallon it has a beta in it would I have room to put a couple Cory cats in there and if so would they keep the rocks and stuff clean?

14. _IceFyre_

Unfortunately cories are reccomended for a 20 gallon minimum but you could add a Nerite snail or 2, they are very good algae cleaners.

15. OP
    OP
    Missyme

Will they crawl out of the tank cuz it's not a really enclosed top on this 1492191955240-1262416866.jpg

16. _IceFyre_

Usually snails will stay put if the water quality is okay, but you might want to cover the hole with cardboard or something to make sure:)

17. vijay3242

You can great deals on here once you have 50 messages. Try looking in the BTSF forum just to prepare. Craiglist has some great deals as well.

18. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I have nerite snails in four different tanks with openings in the tops, and none have left yet. I agree with the previous poster, I don't think they'll climb out as long as your water is good. And they are great at dealing with diatoms! And pretty! And they won't reproduce in freshwater, so you won't be overrun with snails :)

19. OP
    OP
    Missyme

I have my water checked every other day or so so it's should be good I'll keep the cardboard or something to block the hoes in mind though thank you.

I've been watching Craigslist and we have a fish store here that sells them for a dollar a gallon used tanks just waiting on a good one to come in.

20. OP
    OP
    Missyme

That's real good to know I was worried about having way too many snails in a tank LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice