Are my new fish doing ok?

Chad8282

So I know I will get backlash but right now in my 40 breeder with salt water I used an rodi machine with is reading at 1.022 S.G I main problem is not having a test lit as funds are limited until payday in a few days.. but petco had had two clarkii clowns one big one small they must have been there awhile because they where 25% off and where the last ones there so I decided to buy them to start my tank cycle .. the worker had told me he kept his salt level at 2? Not sure what unit he was talking about maybe s.g? But I drip acclimated them and they sat in the bottom right corner for awhile assuming because in there tiny display tank they had been bunches up on an anemone in the same corner and they were slightly aggressive (bigger one obviously) then the night had past. Next day today I turned on the lights and they had not been moving sitting on the bottom and I’m new to salt water keeping not sure if that’s normal behavior? But I thought maybe they had a reaction to the salt change but after work today they burrowed under my heater a crater like bed and seem to be busing around like normal. That is I assume I have zero experience in saltwater keeping buy a good amount in FW. So to clear it up a bit I’m concerned they haven’t been anywhere else in the tank but this corner but I assume they need time to adjust but one has already nibbled on some flakes which is a good sign . Photo makes them seem stationary but they are swing all around they are not just sitting there
Other than that they look great and seem to be good I’m just hoping nothing goes wrong with the water while I don’t have a kit which I wouldn’t think it would be because I used rodi myself and mixed the salt cautiously

Fishproblem

Chad8282 said:
So I know I will get backlash but right now in my 40 breeder with salt water I used an rodi machine with is reading at 1.022 S.G I main problem is not having a test lit as funds are limited until payday in a few days.. but petco had had two clarkii clowns one big one small they must have been there awhile because they where 25% off and where the last ones there so I decided to buy them to start my tank cycle .. the worker had told me he kept his salt level at 2? Not sure what unit he was talking about maybe s.g? But I drip acclimated them and they sat in the bottom right corner for awhile assuming because in there tiny display tank they had been bunches up on an anemone in the same corner and they were slightly aggressive (bigger one obviously) then the night had past. Next day today I turned on the lights and they had not been moving sitting on the bottom and I’m new to salt water keeping not sure if that’s normal behavior? But I thought maybe they had a reaction to the salt change but after work today they burrowed under my heater a crater like bed and seem to be busing around like normal. That is I assume I have zero experience in saltwater keeping buy a good amount in FW. So to clear it up a bit I’m concerned they haven’t been anywhere else in the tank but this corner but I assume they need time to adjust but one has already nibbled on some flakes which is a good sign . Photo makes them seem stationary but they are swing all around they are not just sitting there
Other than that they look great and seem to be good I’m just hoping nothing goes wrong with the water while I don’t have a kit which I wouldn’t think it would be because I used rodi myself and mixed the salt cautiously
Congrats on the new tank! To start, line breaks are a blessing to those of us who are trying to read your post

I've got a couple of questions for you. What are you testing your salinity with/how did you get to the 1.022 reading? If that's accurate, it's totally fine.

Do you have any decor in the tank? If they don't have places to hide in case something bigger shows up, that's why they're hiding in the corner.

Do you have an api freshwater test kit? You can use that for a good general idea of where your parameters are. A fish in cycle is fine, but a fish in cycle in saltwater, flying totally blind is definitely not a great idea. Get that test kit, otherwise you won't have saved any money at all by buying those fish on sale.

Chad8282

Fishproblem said:
Congrats on the new tank! To start, line breaks are a blessing to those of us who are trying to read your post

I've got a couple of questions for you. What are you testing your salinity with/how did you get to the 1.022 reading? If that's accurate, it's totally fine.

Do you have any decor in the tank? If they don't have places to hide in case something bigger shows up, that's why they're hiding in the corner.

Do you have an api freshwater test kit? You can use that for a good general idea of where your parameters are. A fish in cycle is fine, but a fish in cycle in saltwater, flying totally blind is definitely not a great idea. Get that test kit, otherwise you won't have saved any money at all by buying those fish on sale.
As of right now I’m using a fluval suction one not a refractometer but to ensure it’s accurate I turn of filter and power heads and tap off all air bubbles on the needle and also yes I do have a freshwater master kit what would work with saltwater? Do they all work? And soon I will get a refractometer all my LFS are out so I will order online and they do have a big chunk of live rock in the center of the tank I just addressed in another thread with an unknown (possibly bristle worms) living in a white tube

Fishproblem

Chad8282 said:
As of right now I’m using a fluval suction one not a refractometer but to ensure it’s accurate I turn of filter and power heads and tap off all air bubbles on the needle and also yes I do have a freshwater master kit what would work with saltwater? Do they all work?
I'm guessing that's the Fluval brand hydrometer, right? That should put you pretty close to where you need to be, even if it's not as accurate as a refractometer. It's reading about in the middle of appropriate salinity for the clowns, so you should have some leeway for inaccuracy.

Yes, the freshwater master test kit does work! It's the exact same kit as their saltwater one, but the color keys are different for ammonia and nitrate. You'll have to look them up online to reference. I've experienced firsthand that they're not ideal, but it'll definitely give you a solid idea of where your parameters are. It's lightyears better than nothing at all.

Something to consider carefully while you do a fish in cycle is that lower readings are much more toxic in saltwater than fresh. Saltwater pH is so high that ammonia is pretty immediately toxic, so keep a close eye on that. Are you familiar with the way pH and temperature influence ammonia toxicity?

Chad8282

Fishproblem said:
I'm guessing that's the Fluval brand hydrometer, right? That should put you pretty close to where you need to be, even if it's not as accurate as a refractometer. It's reading about in the middle of appropriate salinity for the clowns, so you should have some leeway for inaccuracy.

Yes, the freshwater master test kit does work! It's the exact same kit as their saltwater one, but the color keys are different for ammonia and nitrate. You'll have to look them up online to reference. I've experienced firsthand that they're not ideal, but it'll definitely give you a solid idea of where your parameters are. It's lightyears better than nothing at all.

Something to consider carefully while you do a fish in cycle is that lower readings are much more toxic in saltwater than fresh. Saltwater pH is so high that ammonia is pretty immediately toxic, so keep a close eye on that. Are you familiar with the way pH and temperature influence ammonia toxicity?
Ok I’m am not too sure but I will get on it ASAP and research appreciate it

Fishproblem

Chad8282 said:
Ok I’m am not too sure but I will get on it ASAP and research appreciate it
Sure thing! Make sure you test your water as soon as you get the chance, and be prepared to do frequent water changes as you cycle with the fish in. Here's a copy of the color chart:

I'm also coming over from freshwater to salt as well, and learning that there's an awful lot I don't know. If you're setting up a FOWLR, it really doesn't have to be that difficult - but do a lot of research! Now that you've got fish in the tank, you're going to have a little catching up to do. But honestly, it seems like you've already got the basic tools you need!

Chad8282

Fishproblem said:
Sure thing! Make sure you test your water as soon as you get the chance, and be prepared to do frequent water changes as you cycle with the fish in. Here's a copy of the color chart:

I'm also coming over from freshwater to salt as well, and learning that there's an awful lot I don't know. If you're setting up a FOWLR, it really doesn't have to be that difficult - but do a lot of research! Now that you've got fish in the tank, you're going to have a little catching up to do. But honestly, it seems like you've already got the basic tools you need!
Thanks I’m doing it now is it high ph I use?

Fishproblem

Chad8282 said:
Thanks I’m doing it now is it high ph I use?
yeah definitely!

Chad8282

8-8.2 read

Fishproblem

Chad8282 said:
8-8.2 read
looks like it's probably 8.2ish, but I'd need to see a better pic of the test. Can you hold the test over a piece of computer paper under sunlight (best) or the light from say, a full spectrum planted tank light on a white setting (second best)? Then compare that to the image on the computer for a more accurate idea.

If you photograph the test against white paper, then I can read it too
This is the best way to read any of the tests, not just pH.

Chad8282

8.2 for sure

Fishproblem

Looks about right! Have you been able to get a clear ammonia reading?

Rcslade124

As mentioned above. Definitely have saltwater ready for changes at all times. I would keep 20gallons minimal mixed to 1.022. yes 1.022 is fine salinity wise. Maybe in time slowly raise it up some but for now. I would stay there. I would plan a sizeable water change every couple of days. As mentioned above. Anything in ammonia reading can be dangerous. You need some but not much. I would do atleast 30-50% everytime the ammonia reaches a hint of green. Also unlike freshwater nitrites are not toxic. The bicarbonate makes nitrites non toxic. So you only need to check ammonia. Your nitrate test will show super high if nitrites are present. So I would only test ammonia. Also research on google some info on fish in saltwater cycles

Chad8282

Rcslade124 said:
As mentioned above. Definitely have saltwater ready for changes at all times. I would keep 20gallons minimal mixed to 1.022. yes 1.022 is fine salinity wise. Maybe in time slowly raise it up some but for now. I would stay there. I would plan a sizeable water change every couple of days. As mentioned above. Anything in ammonia reading can be dangerous. You need some but not much. I would do atleast 30-50% everytime the ammonia reaches a hint of green. Also unlike freshwater nitrites are not toxic. The bicarbonate makes nitrites non toxic. So you only need to check ammonia. Your nitrate test will show super high if nitrites are present. So I would only test ammonia. Also research on google some info on fish in saltwater cycles
Good to know I’ve check all my levels last night and everything is in par I will check again tonight because I new my fish wouldn’t eat right away leaving the food for waste I’ve just started to feed them last night

Jesterrace

Doing fish in cycles isn't the best way and is very risky, especially for saltwater. Personally I would find a place you can take the clowns for a while you do a fishless cycle. That way you can ensure the fish are healthy and not going through stuff that is harmful to them. As for the salinity levels with fish only 1.022 is fine. If you want corals in there as well then ideally it should be somewhere around 1.025 for a nice balance between the fish and corals.

Chad8282

Jesterrace said:
Doing fish in cycles isn't the best way and is very risky, especially for saltwater. Personally I would find a place you can take the clowns for a while you do a fishless cycle. That way you can ensure the fish are healthy and not going through stuff that is harmful to them. As for the salinity levels with fish only 1.022 is fine. If you want corals in there as well then ideally it should be somewhere around 1.025 for a nice balance between the fish and corals.
yes I also picked up some prime and i am watching levels closely, unfortunately it hasn't been a week and I have to move so ill be transporting them to different house as well as another 40 breeder full of fw and a 20H so fun for me!

Rcslade124

I moved my 120g 3 months in alot of work. Make a plan and expect to add 3 hrs to your planned tine

Chad8282

Rcslade124 said:
I moved my 120g 3 months in a lot of work. Make a plan and expect to add 3 hrs to your planned tine
fortunately its a house 3 mins up the road so its going to have to be done in a weekend cant wait to try and catch a few dozen Corry's a school of loaches and lots of fast fish

Rcslade124

Drain water to a very low point makes it easier to corner the fish. I only moved my saltwater corals but it took hours to do. Moving the 29 gallon with Cardinal tetras and rams was tough getting them out! Then plants are a whole nother level

Jesterrace

Rcslade124 said:
Drain water to a very low point makes it easier to corner the fish. I only moved my saltwater corals but it took hours to do. Moving the 29 gallon with Cardinal tetras and rams was tough getting them out! Then plants are a whole nother level
Yup did this when I upgraded from my 36 bowfront. Thankfully I only had 2 fish at the time I did the upgrade. Still a pain though as one was a Diamond Watchman Goby and the other was a Melanurus Wrasse, so trying to dig them out of the sand was really fun.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom