Are my nerites dying?

SaveZelda

I've had two tanks for about 1.5 years and have had the same nerites since. I also bought some nerites that were full adults. The past month I've had one pass. They used to be incredibly active, especially when I fed spinach or cucumbers to the tank. I recently just transferred my two tanks into 1 highly planted 20-gallon tank. I transferred 5 rice fish and a bajillion shrimp. Everyone but the snails seem to be thriving. My water parameters are literally perfect. 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite and 7.6 PH. I use the freshwater master kit with the vials and drops. Since the move, my nerites have been flipping over and 2 are just chilling on the glass not moving or eating. I also have a whole bunch of ramshorn and bladder snails moving a mile a minute, it's just the nerites. Everyone is constantly feeding as I drop cucumbers and spinach and my tank is also filterless. When I first transferred them this wasn't an issue so I'm wondering if they just ate a bunch and are now chilling out? I started using flourish and flourish advanced, which I haven't in their previous tank. Also, the temp is set to 72. Also when they are flipped sometimes they aren't fully retracted into their shell. I'm not sure what to do, should I put them in their own tank? I don't want to stress them out more by moving them again. Also, the new tank is far better than the previous ones. I also don't want them to decompose and spike the ammonia, although my one nerite that passed was completely consumed by the shrimp, only the shell was left... which was surprising. What should I do, do I just wait it out?

edit: I added some photos. The one on the class wasn't originally curled up like that. it was flat on the glass and when I went to take a picture I noticed he started curling up. Also, the other one isn't fully retracted in its shell so I'm assuming it is dead. Did the move stress them out? I drip acclimated and everything I hope I didn't cause this and they are just passing of old age :(

edit 2: I think they are alive! I read to pick them up and "tickle them" to see if they retract, and they both retracted. and the smaller one on the glass is flat again and not curled. I get overly concerned when it comes to my pets so I'm sorry if this is a lot. I'll check in in a couple of days.

Attachments

• IMG_5857.jpg
    IMG_5857.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5854.jpg
    IMG_5854.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 13

BigManAquatics

Well, probably isn't a lot of algae or biofilm for them to go after. Are they still suctioned to whatever?

Upvote 0

SaveZelda

Well, probably isn't a lot of algae or biofilm for them to go after. Are they still suctioned to whatever?
Two of them are suctioned onto the glass but three of them are just chilling in the gravel and I popped one on top of a rock with java moss.

That's the thing, there is still algae, my shrimp are still going at it and there is a side of the tank wall that has it. my shrimp were chilling on the glass eating it. Also, the snails usually love chilling on the anubias plants that have some algae growth and there are still a couple that a bladder snail is working on as I write this.

I also grind up eggshells into a powder which they go crazy for. yesterday I dropped some in around them and it's gone, but it could have been the shrimp.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
Replies