10 Gallon Tank Are my mystery snails mating?

AltVzn

Member
It's only been a day since I got them, and I'm not sure if he's devouring her, or playing, or mating. This is how they look like:





He's literally crushing her. They were doing that for 5-10 minutes? Not really sure, but they were like that when I arrived.

Also, if they're already mating and all that. Does that mean they like the quality of my aquarium? Cause like I said before, it's only been a day

Edit: Sorry for posting and asking so much, first time having snails and it either excites me or worries me XDD
 

Kribensis27

Member
Nope, just looks like normal mystery snail curiosity. It can be hard to tell when they’re mating. Honestly, the best way to tell is to look for eggs on the tank rim! Mating isn’t really the best indicator of wether or not they like the tank. If they like it, they’ll breed to take over the resources, and if they don’t like it, they’ll breed to keep their genes alive. If they’re active and eating, that can tell you whether or not they like the tank.
 
  • Thread Starter

AltVzn

Member
Kribensis27 said:
Nope, just looks like normal mystery snail curiosity. It can be hard to tell when they’re mating. Honestly, the best way to tell is to look for eggs on the tank rim! Mating isn’t really the best indicator of wether or not they like the tank. If they like it, they’ll breed to take over the resources, and if they don’t like it, they’ll breed to keep their genes alive. If they’re active and eating, that can tell you whether or not they like the tank.
Oh I see I see, thank youuu, then I suppose they're happy as they're always roaming and foraging (hopefully XDD)
 

mimo91088

Member
It does indeed look like they're mating. I'd lower your water level by an inch or two to give them a place for eggs. They lay eggs above the water's surface. If you don't leave them enough space to do so, they'll try to escape the tank in order to find a good spot.
 
  • Thread Starter

AltVzn

Member
mimo91088 said:
It does indeed look like they're mating. I'd lower your water level by an inch or two to give them a place for eggs. They lay eggs above the water's surface. If you don't leave them enough space to do so, they'll try to escape the tank in order to find a good spot.
Oh, thank you! Just gave her an inch of space to find a spot. Hoping they have babies XDDD, is there a way to reduce the number of babies? If ever she does lay eggs, can I take some off and leave some on?
 

mimo91088

Member
AltVzn said:
Oh, thank you! Just gave her an inch of space to find a spot. Hoping they have babies XDDD, is there a way to reduce the number of babies? If ever she does lay eggs, can I take some off and leave some on?
I've never tried splitting a clutch like that since I breed them for numbers. But I suppose it would be possible if you're careful. After removing it from the glass you'd need to incubate them, unless you can somehow manage to carefully do it and keep them attached to the glass (this will be difficult to achieve) . You can float them in a lidless tupperware in the tank with some damp paper towels. Some people even just use a piece of styrofoam. Whatever you do, don't submerge the eggs or the babies will drown in the shell.
 
  • Thread Starter

AltVzn

Member
mimo91088 said:
I've never tried splitting a clutch like that since I breed them for numbers. But I suppose it would be possible if you're careful. After removing it from the glass you'd need to incubate them, unless you can somehow manage to carefully do it and keep them attached to the glass (this will be difficult to achieve) . You can float them in a lidless tupperware in the tank with some damp paper towels. Some people even just use a piece of styrofoam. Whatever you do, don't submerge the eggs or the babies will drown in the shell.
Oh okay, if ever she does lay eggs. I'll do that. Thank you so much for the advice!
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom