are my mystery snails breeding?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Ilyas, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

This is Ilyas`wife. Our two mystery snails appear to be breeding because one of them is often found on top of the other the past couple of days. What does this mean? Do they need to be a certain age or size? If they are mating, how long does it take for them to lay eggs? I understand the water needs to be low and they will make a lot of babies, but we need a lot snails for our tanks.

Any advice is welcome.

Thank you

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Hello Mrs. Ilyas :) I have a few mystery snails that have finally bred and laid eggs (I got 5 clutches for 2 females) anyways I would need a picture to verify that they are indeed matting but from the sounds of it they are! So congrats!

Mine are a little larger than golf balls so I would think this is about the right size for them to mature... how big are yours?

Mine didn't lay eggs until I had moved all my fish to my 29g so i think when they feel it is safest, IMHO, but others may answer otherwise...

As for laying they will pic a spot that should get plenty of water splashing on it... if they don't (like my first clutch) you will need to spray it a few time a day with tank water (I filled a small spray bottle with the tanks water) saddly I lost this clutch as it fell into the water and drowned :( however other will have better info for you as i am not yet fully experianced in mystery snail breeding!

Just curious.. what colors are they?

3. JustKeepSwimming

JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

When they're mating they kind of latch on and rock around a bit. It looks 'violent' to some people but not to me, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. Good luck if you get some new snails!

4. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

2 brown a yellow and a blue-green. 3 of mine are a little smaller than a golf ball the other Ilyas got today is actually flat (must be real young). I will post a pic later (my baby is sleeping were the camera is). Thanks for the welcome and hello back. Thanks for the info too,

5. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

Yeah I saw some of that, and for about three days now....still no eggs.

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Haha trust me when I say they can go a week or two doing this... my assassin snail finally let go of each other last night after 2 weeks of mating... lol... it just means the snails are really happy with their home!

7. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

Good to know. So they are big teases and I need to be patient I guess. Is it common that one snail will do these actions with more than one snail?

8. marine590622

marine590622Well Known MemberMember

I would say the one mating with more than one of the others is probably a male. If you watch closely the male is the one the back of the other.
    He will have his foot on her shell and snake his reproductive organ inside her shell.

9. marine590622

I would say the one mating with more than one of the others is probably a male. If you watch closely the male is the one the back of the other.
    He will have his foot on her shell and snake his reproductive organ inside her shell.

If you want to raise the babies you need to lower the water level so they have and inch or two of glass available above the water line. If you have a tight lid thatkeeps the humidity in that would be all you need for the snails to be able to hatch. Then the question is can the baby snails survive in your tank, If you have no fish you should be fine, If you have fish, then the type of fish in the tank makes a difference.

10. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

We have lowered the water a few inches a couple of weeks ago and we maintain that water level. We have Barbs in the tank (Tger, Checker, Odessa). Thanks for the tips.

11. marine590622

The barbs are liable to munch on the baby snails. You need to either put the barbs in another tank, or when the egg clutches appear remove them and put them in a hatchery.

A hatchery for mystery snails would be to take a clear plastic dish like sandwich meat comes in.

Clean it well, put a folded up damp paper towel in it and place the egg clutch on top. Punch holes in the lid and place the lid on the dish. float this in the tank. 10 to 15 days is the hatching time. Watch and when the baby snails start appearing place them in a rearing tank until they are large enough for the barbs not to be able to eat them.

12. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

IlyasValued MemberMember

Still mo clutch yet ....but I do have a picture.....finally...they are still doing the same actions though!

039.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice