Help Are my mollies pregnant?

gt-ere

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 3 female mollies and 3 male mollies, i believe 2 of the females are pregnant as they look bigger that the othe female molly. Apparently they are suposed to have a black spot on their tummy but i can't see anything.
My fish have never been pregnant before and I want help, I don't want the bigger fish to eat them.

gt-ere

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 3 female mollies and 3 male mollies, i believe 2 of the females are pregnant as they look bigger that the othe female molly. Apparently they are suposed to have a black spot on their tummy but i can't see anything.
My fish have never been pregnant before and I want help, I don't want the bigger fish to eat them.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi gt-ere welcome to the forum

I moved your thread to a more appropriate section of the forum.
Sorry, I don't have mollies so I can't answer your question but someone will be along shortly who can help.

Good luck

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is hard to see on the silver and black mollies. If they have a swollen belly and the back fin looks arched they are. I have about 80 fry right now because 3 of mine had them.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've merged your threads. It's recommended to have one thread per question to avoid confusion.

Mike19

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have males and females mixed together chances are they are pregnant, mollies are livebeares, meaning the young are free swimmers, usually the rate of when the fry is released depends on things like weather, how long she has been pregnant ect.

Bigger fish including the parents will eat the fry so it will be advisable to separate them using a breeding box/net if your have one.

Mike

gt-ere

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the replies, i have an update on the pictures, which i took yesterday.

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's very possible that they are pregnant. Usually just having males and females in the same tank will let you know that you've got babies on the way.

I'd be careful. Babies can overpopulate a tank really quickly.

I had mollies in the past and I had to give them away because I couldn't handle the quantity of babies they had. I ended up setting up new tanks and the babies started having babies and it was just a never ending cycle of babies! I ended up not being able to keep the tank clean or the ammonia down because there were so many piggy babies.

Good luck with your babies! They really are cute little things.

I never really had a problem with the parents eating the babies. If you have a lot of plants for them to hide in, they'll stay pretty safe. I bought this stuff called "guppy grass" that was nice for the babies to hide in.

gt-ere

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the white molly did have fry,now (about 5 hours after birth) there are only 6. I will post some pictures later. What kind of food is best for the fry? now i am using crushed flakes.

cerianthus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If memory serves, females are known to store sperms to be used later when male is not not present for courtship. Just FYI.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom