Are My Honey Gourami Trying To Spawn?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Mom2some, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

We 2 male and 1 female honey gourami in our community tank.
    I think they may be trying to spawn based on body posturing I am seeing (c shaped curve by male around female).
    I don't see a clearly defined bubble nest (I have seen pictures of ones from a betta), but I am definitely seeing one of the males oriented mouth up at the front of the tank in the floating plants.
    What can I do to encourage to assist? I assume nothing, but figured it was worth asking.

2. Fishbeard

Fishbeard Valued Member Member

Following, my pair have been doing this for about a month, chasing each other around and all. But no bubble nest!

3. Kolegrundy92

Kolegrundy92 Valued Member Member

To get them to spawn successfully, you will need to have no surface movement and no other fish in the tank or the male will get very stressed and eat the eggs.

4. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Thank you. This is very helpful... neither of these two conditions will be met, so they won't spawn successfully, but that does that mean they won't actually spawn at all? They have been in my tank quite a while and this is a first. I have a lot more floating plants that normal, so I thought maybe that triggered them.

5. Kolegrundy92

Kolegrundy92 Valued Member Member

They could attempt, but of you have 2 males the male will be too busy chasing the other males. If you had one male and multiple females he would spawn with all 3 females and make a huge bubble nest. ..I've seen ones over half the surface area of a 10 gallon tank! [​IMG] ( betta smaragdina and fry example) I can't find my pictures of my dwarf gourami spawn lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice