Are my guppies pregnant

Joshaeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Most likely, yes...female guppies can store sperm from a single mating and use it to impregnate themselves several subsequent times, so if they have ever come into contact with a male after they hit maturity they are most likely pregnant. Can't tell how pregnant from the pictures, though...plus I don't have a huge amount of experience with livebearers :rolleyes: Maybe someone else can give a more thorough answer.

YellowGuppy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The answer, almost invariably, is "yes". If there's a male in the tank, odds are excellent that within a day or so, all of the females are pregnant, and will continue to be so nonstop until several months after being separated from all males.

How long have you had these guppies? It's also possible that the females are pregnant from prior male exposure, and you may get different genetics in your tank than you originally anticipated.

YellowGuppy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, they look a little on the large side, so expect fry (relatively) soon. Just how soon depends on how big they usually are, and perhaps even more importantly, water temps. Cooler water slows down fish metabolism, so the warmer they are, the faster it'll happen.

H Farnsworth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are but be aware the it can take up to 6 weeks for a full pregnancy depending on water parameters. The fry at birth will also be very small and you likely wont see them for several days after that.

YellowGuppy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
H Farnsworth said:
The fry at birth will also be very small and you likely wont see them for several days after that.
In my tank, guppy fry are immediately either seen by me (and subsequently rescued into a net breeder) or seen by the other guppies and eaten in short order. Ah, to have a thick mass of vegetation. One day!

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking at these pics, I´d say `yes`, they´re pregnant.
But I´d like to note this again: if a female guppy is storing sperm packages, it doesn´t mean that she´s pregnant. She´s only pregnant when she lets such a sperm package pass through to fertilize her eggs. As long as she´s storing sperm packages but not letting one pass through, she´s not pregnant at all. It´s a misconception which I read a lot overhere.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom