Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlliFish21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm wondering whether my female guppies are pregnant or just bloated. The green fin one has been large since I got her but the other has grown in the last 2 weeks, I'm not sure if they can get this big in that period of time. Do these 2 girls look pregnant?
20180514_182138.jpg
20180514_182213.jpg
20180514_182136.jpg
20180514_182221.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Forgive me, I’m blind. Do you see gravid spots on them? Like little windows into the womb? You have males too?
Welcome to fishlore. We will try to help you with your girls. @Jenoli42 you willing to look at these lovelies for me? Please? And thank you.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Gypsy13 said:
Forgive me, I’m blind. Do you see gravid spots on them? Like little windows into the womb? You have males too?
Welcome to fishlore. We will try to help you with your girls. @Jenoli42 you willing to look at these lovelies for me? Please? And thank you.
I'm so sorry but I'm useless at identifying pregnancy. . . had surprise fry appear and had no idea any fish were pregnant! we have a very chubby rummy nose who's just fat because it's greedy and the others let it be greedy. one looks like that in your photos. the other certainly looks very round & the bottom photo certainly has a very dark gravid spot. i hope that helps?

the OP should do a Google image search on gravid spot & then look at the other.

just ignore the last image on that link that suggests you should use dish detergent to clean a tank. that will kill fish and beneficial bacteria and its a rubbish stock photo. otherwise it's a decent article

Ollie_Blue_Aquatics

Reaction score
I believe that both of you fish are pregnant as the first ones tails looks slightly bent which is a sign of pregnancy the second is definitely pregnant and I recommend keeping them in a breeding box as you could make money from the babies but bare in mind the males will lose colour if they breed to much

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bent spine is from poor water quality or genes. The last picutre is a pregnant girl along with the second to last. The third to last, i dont see any eyes, but she is def boxed. The first picture i dont see any eyes either.

Andy S

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have no idea of your level of experience or knowledge so I apologise in advance if I'm telling you stuff you already know.

A mature female guppy can produce a 'litter' on average every 28 days. It can be as short as 21 days or sometimes up to 35 days depending on a number of factors. Each new litter may number anywhere between 20 and 40 on average although I believe that the record is over 100.
You say that one of your fish has grown big just in the last fortnight - that's no great surprise when you consider that in less than a month she will go from having perhaps 40 tiny fertilised eggs to having 40 fully formed baby fish in her abdomen.
The increase is incremental, not much change in the first week, slight enlargement for the second week, considerable weight gain in week three and as the 'due date' draws nearer so her size increases even more. By the time she's ready to produce she will look like she's fit to burst.
During the last couple of days of pregnancy her body shape will change and become what is described as 'boxy'. Instead of her abdomen being rounded it squares off when viewed from the side. It's one of the tell-tale signs to let you know she is on the point of producing.

Once a female guppy has been impregnated she can store the sperm for several months which means that even if she does not see a male guppy she can still produce babies perhaps 5 months after her last encounter with a male. She might have babies 5 or 6 times just on the one copulation with a male.

I would say looking at the photos that both these fish are pregnant. If either of them have been in a tank with male guppies during the last few months then you can be fairly confident that they will be pregnant.

Hope this helps.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would say they both are yes! And both should give birth soon as they have squared off at the back! I expect less than a week for both of them.

The colourful girl looks pretty stressed though.. is she eating ok? Is she getting bullied? I'm worried she might abort unless she gets less stressed...

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can seperate the mothers into another tank together, so the males will leave them be. Make sure there are many hiding places and you acclimate them into the tank. Let the mothers recover for a few days, feed them along with the fry.

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AlliFish21 said:
Do these 2 girls look pregnant?
I do believe your guppies - the one in the last picture, definitely - will soon give birth.

May I make a suggestion? Invest in a breeder net/breeder box. They're mostly under $10. As soon as you can, catch the fry and put them in the box. Then they won't be eaten.

AlliFish21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mary765 said:
I would say they both are yes! And both should give birth soon as they have squared off at the back! I expect less than a week for both of them.

The colourful girl looks pretty stressed though.. is she eating ok? Is she getting bullied? I'm worried she might abort unless she gets less stressed...
She does seem a bit stressed. She is waddling alot while swimming and is keeping to a corner on her own. I haven't noticed any other fish bothering her though. I can't believe I'm going overseas this week and I'm going to miss it!

Sarah73 said:
If you can seperate the mothers into another tank together, so the males will leave them be. Make sure there are many hiding places and you acclimate them into the tank. Let the mothers recover for a few days, feed them along with the fry.
Unfortunately I don't have any time to separate them as I'm flying overseas for a couple weeks.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You might not miss it, But then again..

Either way try and provide plenty of hiding places so they all dont get eaten

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom