Are My Goldfish Getting Along?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by Ash T., Aug 2, 2017.

1. A

Ash T. New Member Member

This just started happening about ten minutes ago. My goldfish, one Oranda and one classic goldfish, have been nudging each other and kind of chasing each other. I'm not sure if they don't have enough space, are trying to show dominance, are trying to mate, or if they're just playing. I don't know the genders of the fish, but as far as I know they wouldn't mate because they are different breeds. I'm sorry if I'm wrong about that, please correct me if I am. I'm pretty sure they aren't fighting for food. I fed them this morning, and they both got their fair share of food.

The video above shows what they've been doing.

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

How big is the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

The tank is currently ten gallons, but they're going to be moved soon.

4. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Water presenters and tank size please?

5. kayla.s

Then they are most likely fighting due to over stocking issues... hope you're moving them to a big tank

6. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

The tank is ten gallons, but they are going to be moved to a bigger tank soon. I'm not sure what you mean by water presenters, since I'm fairly new to this, but I am using tap water with a water conditioner, the tank has a filter, currently no live plants, and they are being fed goldfish flakes.

7. kayla.s

She meant water parameters :)
    Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

8. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

I'm moving them as soon as I'm able to buy a large tank. What can I do to help them with their current situation? The other fish in the tank are being moved to their own tank today. Should I take out one of the rocks?

9. kayla.s

No that won't help anything... these fish get very large and need room and their own territory. Not much you can do for them atm, just get the bigger tank and remember to cycle it

10. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

I haven't tested the water (I know, I'm probably really bad at this) but I am going to the store today to buy a pH tester and a fray net for my molly. Is there anything that I need to buy (other than a large tank) that would help?

11. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

A full test kit, such as the API master kit, would help. If you cant buy a big tank just yet a large childrens pool (the ones with a sturdy frame) work well temporarily, goldfish get huge and need alot of room.

12. kayla.s

Agree with above. What temperature is the tank kept at? And I suggest you read up on the nitrogen cycle, to try avoid any potential deaths :)

13. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

How big is the new tank going to be? Is the 10 gallon cycled?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    A

Ash T. New Member Member

I have a twenty gallon that I was considering moving my goldfish into, but on a different thread people told me to put my pregnant Molly and my new tetras in the twenty gallon. Most people have suggested a forty gallon for the goldfish. I'm going to buy the rest of the supplies I need for water testing and keeping up with the nitrogen cycle. Also buying a thermometer for the fish tank, since the thermometer we currently have is old and isn't very accurate.

15. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Everything that was said here is good information and you should follow up on the suggestions.

To immediately help the situation, you need to give them a temporary hiding place. What you need is $1 and a dollar store.

Buy a plastic basket and stick it in your tank. Solved all my problems.

PART_1500673941550.jpeg

16. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

40 Gallons would be fine if they were both fancies but that comet needs 150 gallons minimum as they get to over a foot long and are very active fish. I keep mine in a 1600 gallon pond.

17. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Yes I did. Stupid auto correct lol!

18. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

As everyone has suggested , honestly the best thing would be to rehome the comet will need a much large aquarium 150g+ and do best in ponds .

I would consider getting 40g breeder if possible , and house your current Oranda and get a 2nd Fancy goldfish.

In the mean time I would suggest doing 50% water changes daily in tell you can get a hold of a test kit to check your water parameters.

I recommend the API freswater master test kit , it's basically everything you need to test water, including the PH your going to purchase for your molly.

19. KawaiiKingyo

KawaiiKingyo New Member Member

This seems like a fantastic idea. Typically goldfish are not aggressive, but maybe just...bossy? There does seem to be a bit of a hierarchy but I've never seen mine try to hurt each other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice