Are My Gbrs Getting Ready To Spawn?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by KelceyMaeraei, Apr 13, 2017.

1. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraeiValued MemberMember

I've noticed today that two of my GBRs seem to have picked a spot in the tank (right in the center on the back of a piece of spider wood) and are acting very protective of it, as well as "cleaning" it. The female's ovipositor is out too, maybe 1-2mms.
    Anyone with experience, does this sound like spawning behavior?
    Thank you!
    EDIT: I have no idea why it says 10 gallon tank, it's a 55 gallon. When I try to edit the tag it says that none is selected....

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Yes, sounds like spawning behavior.

3. OP
    OP
    KelceyMaeraei

Thanks @MikeRad89!
    She's laying eggs right now! And he's following behind...Haha guess I was right

4. Protim Sarkar

Protim SarkarWell Known MemberMember

Congrats !

5. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Remove the eggs or put them in a tumbler or most likely the male will eat them within 24 hours. It usually takes a few times for them to actually stick through the whole process. Feeding a high protein live food helps discourage the male from eating them but certainly doesn't guarantee

6. OP
    OP
    KelceyMaeraei

I'm not particularly trying to breed them...it would be cool if some survive but I'm gonna let nature take its course this time. I'm actually surprised they spawned at all because my pH is a little high and I've read they won't usually spawn if the water isn't acidic enough.

7. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_TanganyikansWell Known MemberMember

Captive bred rams aren't that picky... they breed quite easily. Warm clean water is all they need. As long as the water isn't hard they will do the deed

8. OP
    OP
    KelceyMaeraei

Good to know our water is not hard at all and I keep the tank at about 80°.

9. OP
    OP
    KelceyMaeraei

Well, 15 hours later and the eggs are still there! It seems that the male is the one hovering over them while the female is off doing whatever she wants haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice