Are my fish suppose to be bigger?

1. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

I won these 2 amazing fish at a carnival last month, and after being sick for the first week(because i was doing a lot wrong) they got better and im pretty sure at happy and healthy fish

but i read that comet fish grow quite rapidity but ive had these boys for a month and a half and havent really noticed a difference

im getting them a 60 gallon tank next month, but for the moment they are in a 20 gallon

i feed them once a day and do water changes twice a week
    [​IMG]

https://vimeo.com/169357061

they are 3.5 inches right now but are they suppose to be bigger?

also are they healthy?

please help

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd rehome them to a pond. Even a 60 gal isn't big enough for an adult.

And if they aren't growing, I'd be worried that they were/are stunted.

3. littleredridingmech Member Member

I know you've probably heard this a lot, but have you considered building them a pond? You can use those big stock tanks at farm supply stores. It'll be expensive in the beginning but less so than getting progressively larger tanks that they'll grow out of anyway.

I don't know much about how goldfish grow, but they seem pretty healthy to me. They're eyes are clear, they don't seem lethargic, they're gills aren't flaring crazily.

4. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

ya actually i an considering it, im only 15 and live in an apartment right now but my plan was to keep them in that 60 gallon for now, and when my parents purchase a house(which will be next year) i will build a pond to put them in

would they grow a lot in a month? cause thats as long ive had them for

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

They will probably be okay in the 20 for a few months. Then once put into the 60 they will probably be okay for quite a while. When I got back into fishkeeping after a long hiatus, my daughter won a couple of carnival goldfish. So I went to petsmart and they sold me a 1-1/2 gallon tank. I realized that was too small after a couple of weeks, went back to petsmart and they sold me a 2-1/2 gallon. After a few weeks that was obviously too small, so I put them in a 5 gallon.

Sometime in that span one goldfish died, and I replaced it with a fantail. I then upgraded to a 12 gallon, then a 25 gallon. At that point I stopped upgrading. This started just over 8 years ago. The common goldfish died after 5 years. But 8 years later and the fantail is still going strong.

So while I don't recommend you follow my lead, I just wanted you to get an idea of what to expect. If kept in a proper sized tank, I'm sure that common goldfish would still be alive. I think they have a lifespan of about 30 years if care for properly. But sometimes the best you can do is just the best you can do.

6. Dexrex56 Initiate Member

oh ok thank God, how big did they get over the years? and how long did it take them to grow bigger

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

They had gotten pretty big (maybe 8 inches for the common goldfish), but it would have gotten much bigger if in a larger tank or better yet a pond. When they were in the 12 gallon tank they seemed to stop growing. But then after putting them in the 25, they grew quite a bit, pretty quickly. I was kinda surprised, since I assumed they were stunted and wouldn't grow any larger.

8. Mothercrow Well Known Member Member

Goldfish can get huge. If you google it, there are growth charts to give you an idea how big they can be. The big tank, however, is necessary not just because of size, but also because goldfish produce a lot of waste. You're going to encounter a lot of different opinions (I've had three commons for less than a month, and it's overwhelming. Mine are in a 20 gallon for the time being). The sum of the many, many opinions I've encountered seems to be that your fish should be ok for a month in a 20gallon. The pictures I've seen of year-old goldfish look to be about six inches. Your goldfish are bigger than mine, but they still appear to have space. I would keep a close eye on the ammonia because I don't know when goldfish will start to overwhelm the filter on a 20 gallon.