Are My Fish Okay?

Anthon

Above is a link to a video of my fish. The skinny gourami is way thinner than all the rest. He seems to be having trouble swimming. The other 3 gourami have fat bellies (almost seem too big) and still don't necessarily look healthy. All the gourami tend to just be at the bottom corners of the tank. All other fish are fine in the tank. Are they okay ? I know dropsy can be a thing for newly established aquariums. I've had them for a couple weeks now.

david1978

Would need more info
Tank parameters
Tank size
Stocking list.

Mithe

Agreed, it is hard to guage the tank health and suggest potential issues without parameter information. How large is your tank and has it been fully cycled? If the tank is only a few weeks, it might still have considerable ammonia and nitrite. This can cause the fish to be overly stressed and sap their energy. It can also be fatal.

Have you measured pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness, etc?

DoubleDutch

All three Gouramis are quite bloated. I think they are probably overfed and probably too high on protein. Three male DG's means war. The one in the middle seems to be the dominant one. The red one is trying to back up on him, but has no place to go / swim to. Think about rehoming two, getting them on a more algae based diet (feed less) and provide them with some floating plants.

As Coryfan of topic : The substrate isn't that good for your Cory(s). C.trilineatus.

moo the fish

straight of the bat gouramis a bloated possibly constipated possibly something worse

Anthon

It's a 20 gallon Long tank with 10 Neon's and 4 Dwarf Gourami (yes I know bad to have 4 I'm looking to regime them for free atm.) I have 6 amano shrimp and 2 julI cory as well. Also rehoming the cory's.
My water;
PH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 2 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

david1978

Niitite of 2 is toxic to fish. With knowing what needs rehomed you answered your own question.

Anthon

Thanks for the help. I do my water changes with PRIME so I hope that helps keep my fish alive. Doing very small daily water changes now to help. I got reeled in by petsmart when I bought the tank to get the bacteria which would let me add fish straight away. Rookie mistake!!
Today they're looking much more lively.

david1978

For right now you need to stay on your water changes to keep your water safe. You really should try to keep your combined ammonia and nitrites under 1. Prime supposedly detoxify up to 1ppm of ammonia and nitrites. I personally would try for lower. You are already doing daily water changes you may have to change more % of water. I have never used any bacteria booster or instant cycle product but they seem to be popular with a lot of people.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
Replies
Views
Skuter782
Replies
Views
fishydaddy
Replies
Views