Are my fish healthy?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kristen111, Jul 1, 2016.

1. k

kristen111 New Member Member

I've had my new tank set up for about 5 months now and I've only lost one fish and I just want to make sure all my fish as of now are healthy. It's a 30g tank with a fluval50 filter and an elite800 air bubbler. I do all regular cartridge changes when needed along with adding chemicals. When I first set up my tank I cycled it for 2 weeks with fluval biological bacteria and I use nutrafin aqua plus waterconditoner as a weekly supplement and for water changes. I also put in fluval biological bacteria weekly to maintain a safe environment. I test my water weekly and it seems to be okay from what it says it should be for my fish. My ph is 7.4 with ideal alkalinity, soft hardness and nitrate is in the safe zone. My tank is lightly planted(plastic) with one cave and a few shells. I have 4 zebra danios, 9 platy fish and a golden algae eater in the tank right now. When I first set up my tank the only fish that I had was the 1 zebra danio and 4 platys. They were in a 15g tank before I bought the 30g. One platty was pregnant and gave birth to her fry and most were eaten except 1 which I managed to save and raised in a breeding tank. That's why I had 4 plattys(had 3 till the little baby came along). I sooner realized I needed to upgrade so I did so. I then went to my local pet store and resuced 3 more zebra danios(I know they're schooling fish but the one I had did no mind being on his own, just decided to get him some friends) and 4 blue moon plattys. So after buying my new fish I was up to 4 danios and 10 platys. After a couple months of being in the 30g together everything was going fine until one of my plattys passed of what I believe was clamped fins. It showed all the signs of this disease. Before this I still did everything I was suppose to do(water changes and medication). None of my other fish seem to have been effected by the disease. After he passed I did a big water change and all my fish still seem to be fine. When I first entered this hobby I basically went by what I read on the internet and what I was told because I had no experience keeping fish. I've somewhat built my own knowledge about my fish. So right now I have 4 danios and 9 plattys. They all seem to be at the best health but I just want to have some experienced opinions. I think some of my plattys may also be pregnant.
    and another question I have is regarding one of my danios. It is the oldest fish I have out of them all and it seems to be quite larger than the others and I'm just wondering if he's maybe a giant danio.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and I thank you for hearing me out.
    I will attach photos of all my gorgeous fishes and the tank and the stuff I use.

2. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

from what I read, your tank seems like its in great shape! :D also I do have a suggestion but I don't know if its watcha want; if you added plants (beginner plants such as java fern, anubias, etc) then it would act as a natural filter kinda sorta. Live plants provide your fish a natural food source with the ability to replenish. By far the biggest benefit that live plants provide for your aquarium is that they produce oxygen (O2) and absorb the carbon dioxide (CO2) and ammonia (NH3) that your fish generate. but if you use the listed plants
    Water Wisteria.
    Java Moss.
    Lilaeopsis.
    Amazon Sword.
    African Water Fern.
    Java Fern.
    Green Tiger Lotus.
    Anubias Nana.
    they don't need CO2 (even though CO2 always helps)

3. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

First welcome to the forums.

you said the nitrates are in the safe zone. What exactly are your parameters
    ? ((Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)). Clamped fins is often a sign of something going wonky with the water. ((actually that goes for most fish diseases))

That being said. Sounds like you are doing the right things and have happy fishies.

4. OP
    OP
    k

thank you I will defiantly consider getting some real plants. are the plants you listed hard to care for and do you need to do anything specific for care?

my ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are 0

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  5. FreshAquariums

I would just do a bit of research (if you can) on the plants that I listed;

Java fern: you cant place the roots in the substrate, it must be tied to a fake log or rock, etc I suggest using string like sowing string is what I used for mine and its huge

water wisteria: It mainly grows in shallow water and is either rooted or floating on the water surface. Most of its growth occurs during the rainy season in the wild, but it will grow year round in an aquarium.

Lilaeopis: It will grow to a maximum size of 3 inches (7.5 cm) in a home aquarium, and will form a dense and impressive carpet if it is provided the right mix of CO2, nutrients and lighting.

amazon sword: For the most beautiful Amazon Sword Plants, a loose substrate and an iron-rich fertilizer must be used. The Amazon Sword Plant requires at least 2 watts per gallon of full spectrum lighting (5000-7000K). The aquarium temperature should be from 72°-82°F, with an alkalinity of 3 to 8 dKH and a pH of 6.5-7.5.

African water fern: Stick it in the gravel (green side up) and watch it grow. nnng. Wrong answer. You’ll rot your rhizome. You have to attach bolbitis (until it figures out how to attach itself). This means you won’t see your dealer tossing dozens of bolbitis in an aquarium like anacharis. And wholesalers can’t ship attached bolbitis starters because the shipping process pretty much unattaches them.

Java moss: same as java fern but it doesn't have huge roots so, just tie it with the sowing string to again a rock or piece of wood. fake or real doesn't matter

anubias: roots can go in ground but not rhizome (in my tank my anubias is just tied to a piece of rock from my driveway that's been cleaned, etc)

Green Tiger Lotus: are easy to grow in aquariums. They develop large root systems and do well with fertilizer in their substrate. Iron-rich clay aggregate is an ideal planting medium. Tiger lotuses grow extremely rapidly under 3 watts T-5 per gallon lighting.

p.s.: Fertilizers in the tank are root tabs, and CO2 Booster for example

6. OP
    OP
    k

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last image was my platy that died.

7. OP
    OP
    k

[​IMG]
    My newest baby platy

& In the above pictures the yellow one with black fins is the one I think may be pregnant and one of the blue moons

8. FreshAquariums

Sorry for your loss:-[ sucks when a pet/fish dies.
    side note your tank looks amazing! good job sir :D

9. peregrine

I see one strange thing there in the numbers you have your nitrate should not be zero.(Unless you are using some sort of nitrate remover in your filter and even then I think there should be some nitrate.))

10. OP
    OP
    k

Maybe I mistaken it for the nitrite

I'm just going by what I remember from last week because I ran out of test trips so I need to go buy more

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  11. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Instead of buying strips I would recommend putting the money towards the liquid test kit. You get a lot more tests and it's more reliable;)

12. peregrine

Agree with Aquaphobia it's more up front but the API freshwater master says it can do up to 800 tests.. at twice the price ((3 times the price if you also buy the liquid GH/KH test, a tleast around here)) for 32 times the number of tests. in the long run it saves a lot of money..

13. OP
    OP
    k

Okay thanks I've been looking for the freshwater master kit but I can't seem to find t anywhere for less than 60$ but I'll defiantly put the money towards it anyway

14. Aquaphobia

Wow, that's expensive! Do you live off the beaten track? I live on an island and most things are more expensive but I can get the rest kit for $30-40. Can you order online?

15. OP
    OP
    k

Yes I can order it offline and they sell it at petsmart for like 50$

16. peregrine

Order it from petsmart.ca and set for in store pickup. Only 39.99 CAD if you order online..

17. OP
    OP
    k

I will defiantly pick it up :)

18. Aquaphobia

Ow. It's only $40 at my PetSmart. Have you signed up for their PetPerks card? I get email offers and coupons and sometimes they're really good. I wait for those deals to stock up on stuff I really need;)

19. peregrine

hehe Yeah I was just thinking even $50 seemed Kinda high ((even when I did the USD to CAD conversion)) A little tip about Petsmart. Always look online, it's usually cheaper than in the store, and with in store pickup.. you order it and they have it all nice and ready to go within a few hours. I've actually started doing that for anything I need at petsmart, for any of my animals.

20. OP
    OP
    k

Awesome thanks for the tips!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice