Are my fish afraid of the new blue lobster? Question

1. dafina Initiate Member

Hello,

I was interested in buying a small blue lobster to "living" up my aquarium, and also the benefits of it eating the leftover food from the gravel. I purchased it today and placed it in the tank at 4pm, still in the water bag. All of my existing fish were acting normal as usual. After 15 - 30min I let him lose into the tank, and he's been at the bottom the entire time. However, ALL of my fish decided to chill in the top left corner of the tank. All facing outward as if they want to leave. My big molly (I call her Oreo) usually "nibbles" my finger when I place it at the very top of the water, follows me around, and even allow me to pet it. Now?....she's in the corner as well.

Here's the information about my babies:
    How long the tank has been set up: 3 weeks
    Aquarium size:
    10 Gallons
    Fish:
    1 big molly, 3 medium mollies, 1 guppy -- added a small blue lobster today
    Plants and inverts in the tank:
    2 fake plants, pink gravel, clear colored gems/rocks
    Chemicals used:
    ph balance, water clarifies, & stress coat
    Maintenance schedule:
    water clarify once a week + algae scrub around the inner glass of the tank, filter cartridge every 3-4 weeks
    Water changes:
    Not yet

Are my fish afraid of the new blue lobster? Attached is the best photo I was able to get.
    Any help and / or advice will be greatly appreciated!
    fish.png

2. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I'd be afraid, but then I also get my wife to kill centipedes, which I have a horror of.
    You might wish to look into getting a larger tank, btw, in that I have yet to see a spacious 10g remaining spacious with the fish you list. And your lobster:)----rick& The B-52's

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Uhm you've had the tank set up for three weeks and haven't done a water change yet? Do you know your water parameters? Hiding at the top of the tank is unusual, especially for livebearers. They are too curious about new things to bother with being afraid of them.

Please know that while your fish and lobster look small now, those mollies are going to be 5 inches each and the lobster is going to be huge and very aggressive. I'm betting they're acting weird either because of water quality, or because the lobster introduced something into the tank already, since it looks like you didn't QT him.

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

I think that the matter might be settled easily with a larger tank :)-rick

5. dafina Initiate Member

With all of the details I've provided according to the forum guidelines, I have yet to see a respectful reason for the problem I posted. Nor a solution.

I was told by staff at PetSmart and at Pet Supermarket that I do not need a water change yet considering it's only been 3 weeks and I've placed a new filter cartridge in today. My water is fine. I took a sample in to check.

This is the beginners section, correct? So why is it so blasphemous that I may be doing something wrong?

And no, I am not buying a new tank because the mollies will "eventually" get big. That is not the advice I asked for either! The tank size is suffice for what I have now. The picture provided is only the left corner, about 1/3 of of the tank. . I have a 5 gallon and purchased the 10 gallon when I started to see the growth. But again, I didn't ask should I buy a bigger tank a year from now.

When I gave birth to my daughter I didn't say "Let's just get our newborn a twin size bed because she's going to get bigger anyway".

And yes, I have a QT. That's what I have the 5 gallon for, and 2.5 just in case the mollies have babies.

Nevermind now. I thought this was a friendly community from what I've read & learn from the other helpful threads, but I can already tell where this is going. I'm returning the lobster tomorrow. Problem solved, no need to report me to PETA. Have a great day!

6. benharmer87 Member Member

They could be afraid. I had a barb that was 5" and my black skirt tetras would not come out of the corner until I got rid of the barb. Now they all over the tank

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Really quite sorry that you took light hearted advise as an attack upon you; but really, the simple truth is that a 10g tank is far too small for mollies.
    That is just a statement of fact, not opinion.
    I am sorry that you feel so upset, but there is little that anyone can do about basic biology, and ignoring a problem is not the best way to address a problem, in my brief experience. Best of luck, rick

8. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I am sorry the fish lore community has offended you in some way. As an employee of my lfs I can honestly tell you that you can not always trust the information given by pet store employees. In this hobby research is key.

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi dafina welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry that you feel your question has not been answered and were offended.

There are a couple of reasons why your fish could be acting the way they are.
    One is yes, you might be correct. They could be afraid of the lobster.

The other might be an issue with the water quality.
    Not changing the water for three allows toxins to build up especially in a new tank.
    Read up on the Nitrogen Cycle to better understand.

The reasoning behind a larger tank is it would allow your fish more room to get away from the lobster.

Please know that we only have the best intentions with the advice we share.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

10. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

welcome to fishlore its ok to make mistakes too i know i did sorry if your offenced but think of it like keeping a eagle in a canary cage. i felt like you at one point i had a 5 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank. he ended up killing everything when i moved him to a bigger tank because he claimed all the space first. im just saying you dont have to listen and your free to do as you want but dont end up like me and kill your fish just because you think an upgrade is unnessisary. i got a 55g tank for $40 down at my locally family owned pet shop because someone brought it back to the store maybe try there? if not craigslist maybe? just think about it ok because mollies have babys like crazy too so it wont be just those fish in a few months

11. smee82 Well Known Member Member

dafina No offense but you did say you bought him today floated the bag for 15 - 30 min, which is a huge difference in time and then let him lose in the tank.you did not QT him. As a general rule you should QT everything for at least 2 weeks in your QT tank and never add water from the pet shop to your main tank. By not doing this you may have infected your main tank with something and as junebug said it is unusual and is a sign that something is wrong.

Also by looking at the picture 3 of fish are female so its not really a matter of if but of when your fish give birth and one of them looks like she is about 2 weeks away from dropping fry. Not sure if you know this but guppies and mollies will cross breed so if your guppy is a male that will create more fry too.

As for the info the pet shops gave you they were wrong, You need to do weekly water changes. Why are you using a PH balance and water clarifier. If your water is not clear its a sign that your water is not clean.

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish and if so how?

Getting told your water is fine is not good you need them to tell you what the exact parameters are, how are they testing your water and what they are testing?

Without even discussing your stocking these are some things you need to know to help your fish.

As to your original Q, yes they probably are afraid wouldn't you be if you where living with something that eats you but there are also other reason for their behavior

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Members....

dafina is already feeling attacked.

Let's hold off on any further replies or repeating what has already been said.

Should they return and need help, we will do our best to provide it.

Edit to say.....taking the time to at least welcome a new member or say hello before jumping in with advice goes a long way. :)

13. Bob Ellis Member Member

The funny thing is that the 'right' correct advice even changes between forum communities. It seems folks advocating similar techniques or approaches end up congregating in different places. This does not mean the advice is bad in any place.

Long story short: There is more than one way to shoot the messenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry you were offended. Hopefully you'll give it another try. Very few, if any, members here give advice with the intent of hurting another's feeling. I think most of us are just eager to be comprehensive.

I hope you'll reconsider and give it another shot, there's a lot of good information here. Best of luck, whatever you choose.

15. dafina Initiate Member

Thank you to Lucy, poeticinjustices & ricmcc for making feel better about this community. I felt ridiculed after I spent so much time & effort to provide the details, just to be scolded about tank size, water quality, nitrogen...all entities that were NOT the issue, which are perfectly fine by the way.

I had the wrong name for the blue lobster. It was a crawfish, the size of my thumb. It's still a lobster, just really tiny.

Upon returning the blue crawfish, I found out today that THAT particular one is aggressive, it was in the wrong tank, and the staff member thought I only had a big Dalmatian molly. When I chose the blue crawfish he was in a tank filled with mollies & guppies, but they were a lot bigger than the ones I have. Mine (except for the Dalmatian) are the size of a light switch (the picture I provided was zoomed in for accuracy purposes, ths making my fis look bigger than they really are). Another tank at the store had about 50 tetras, 10 multisize glow fish & 10 red or white crawfish. No dead fish at all and they were not trying to attack them as they swam by their claws.

With that being said, to the ones that were concerned about QT, ph balance, gallon size & etc: Everything is perfectly fine. When I said "i let him loose in the tank" I didn't know I had to break it down to what i actually did: I held on to the opening of the bag while it was still in the water, ensuring that none of the store tank water mixed with mine. I used the fishnet to transfer the crawfish into my tank within 1 second. I had the water tested at 2 different pet stores and it was normal. Everything that they tested it for. I didn't list them all because a) I was already tired of typing at that point and i knew that wasn't the issue and 2) I didn't remember all of the terms they used when they said "yadda yadda yadda and yadda yadda are all at a normal level and just fine". I'm a woman that knows how to read & write html, css & php, and can do 3 sets of 8 reps of legpress @ 400lbs. But if you start talking to me about science: my eyes start to cross. I will admit to that.

Since I'm new to this forum, let me introduce myself as a pet owner: I'm an animal lover. I'm a dogmommy that wipes my shihtzu with babywipes whenever he goes outside to pee & cuddle with him whenever I watch "The Office" on Netflix. When I was younger, my grandmother bought 10 goldfish for $1 and they all lived for 12 years. I used to adopt kittens from the animal shelter for 5 years but my asthma got worse, so i had to stop. I say all this to let you know something about me: I'm not one of those people that invested in fish because they're "pretty" or for decoration. They're very therapeutic for me, and I love watching them while I work on websites, or reading.

My fish are back to normal now that I've removed the crawfish and are happy again!

Moving forward: If I need advice from this community, do I have to break things down step by step? Almost as if I have to dumb it down to those that don't understand when someone is trying to make a long story short? Because the replies I noted as "negative" that I received were because of ignorant assumptions.

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

When I first started I was so confused.
    Ammonia? Nitrites? Nitrates? What's that?? lol

I got a quick lesson into why all (and I mean all) of our fish died.
    Poor fishies.

So, yeah, even though eyes glaze over with these terms we really need to learn about them.
    It's all very confusing at first.
    Once it clicks you'll get it.

I did and I'm the least scientific person there is.
    All I care about is that if I turn on a light switch the light goes on.
    I don't care about how or why. lol

You get the idea, but where our fish are concerned there is a learning curve.
    Like I said, you'll get it. :)

Basically, Yes. ;)
    When something isn't right with our tanks everything needs to be ruled out before we can move forward.

smee said probably afraid because the behavior of your fish could very well have been from a number of things.
    Most of which were included in his post.

I'm really glad your fish are doing better now that the lobster was returned and also glad it was as simple as that.
    Well, maybe not so simple to say goodbye to your lobster.

Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

Given the attitude of this thread, it is being closed.