Are my female Rummy-nose carrying eggs?

j_guilliatt

I have four Rummy-nose tetras and two of the females are really fat around the belly. I'm pretty sure they're not sick because they are really colourful and reasonably active. Are they carrying eggs? What should I do if they are?

TFA101

females of the tetra family tend to be more full in the body. If you're comparing them to the two slimmer fish, you might just be viewing the two different genders. Then again, its just about impossible to breed rummynose tetras, but it can be achieved. If you couldpost a picture, that could help alot

j_guilliatt

Well, it actually has proven to be impossible to get a decent photo as they are so fast. But, I know that it is not just gender because the females are fatter on some mornings and not on others. Is it possible for them to develop eggs and loose them in the space of a day or so?

TFA101

i've heard of fish reabsorbing eggs...

one case with a iridescent shark...

eww...

j_guilliatt

Another question, the greeny spot that they get on the top of their heads? Is that an indication that they are healthy, ready to spawn, etc???

TFA101

I'm looking at pictures with numerous tetras, and that green spot you've identified seems to be in every picture i've seen. I think I read that the green spot and red nose indicates a happy, healthy fish, though

j_guilliatt

That's good, thanks.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom