Are My Fancy Goldfish Fry Supposed To Be Doing This? Help 

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have set up a ten-gallon tank filled about 9" deep at 73* Fahrenheit for a surprise spawn my goldies pulled on me. The fry hatched alright about to days ago and now some of them are moving around occasionally. I'm worried because a great many of them just seem to be sitting on the bottom (it's a bare bottom tank) not moving. does that mean they are dead? Or just resting? I have a bubbler in the tank but it's on low so not much current, and few plants for the little guys to cling to. Is this normal? I have NEVER had fry, but I couldn't just let them get eaten once I saw the eggs were fertile so now I have to try to learn fast
---Sick fish form below---

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
- ten gallons filled to 9" deep
How long has the tank been running?
-newly set up
Does it have a filter?
-no
Does it have a heater?
-yes
What is the water temperature?
-73*
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
-goldfish fry
Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
-it was just set up so not ever (yet) has been three days
How much of the water do you change?
- NA
What do you use to treat your water?
-seachem prime, salt, stress coat
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
-bare bottom (so... yes?)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
-nope it was an emergency
What do you use to test the water?
-API testers
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
-was 0 for everything when I set it up

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
-three times daily
How much do you feed your fish?
-tiny bit of dust food
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
-hikari first bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
-no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
-three days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
-since they hatched
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
-laying on the bottom of the tank and hanging on the tank walls
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
-no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
-just hatched at my home no bought
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
-NA

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are probably just using up the egg sack they have on them. Give them time they should start moving more when they have to actually eat.

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Annie59 said:
They are probably just using up the egg sack they have on them. Give them time they should start moving more when they have to actually eat.
Oh, how long does the yolk last? I read that it lasts for two days. Some sites I visited said that they should be fed when they start swimming, but others said that it takes two days for the yolk to be used and you should feed even if they're not moving.

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, more of them are moving today, and I think some of them are eating the food I put in so yay!
Also, does anyone have recommendations as to how to clean a fry tank without sucking up the fry? They are free swimming but soooooo small so I'm a little worried about hurting them

Little Blue Ram

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I just had to learn how to do this too and recently had to figure out how to clean my fry tank without sucking up the babies. It took me awhile (since the tank has substrate, and other occupants) but i used a turkey baster (one i bought from the dollar store) and just sucked up the uneaten food. I did read some people doing gravel vacuums with netting around the opening but I personally didn't have anything that would work for that.

It's Not Just a Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Little Blue Ram said:
I just had to learn how to do this too and recently had to figure out how to clean my fry tank without sucking up the babies. It took me awhile (since the tank has substrate, and other occupants) but i used a turkey baster (one i bought from the dollar store) and just sucked up the uneaten food. I did read some people doing gravel vacuums with netting around the opening but I personally didn't have anything that would work for that.
A turkey baster, Huh! thank you I think that will work. My little guys are making quite a mess!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom